Career choices and concerns for UG applied physics.

In summary: But, if you want to be a physicist, you need to market yourself. Coupling a physics degree with computer science or engineering will give you a lot of marketable skills.
sarick
applied physics and cs double major or applied physics/CE minor?

according to my advisor, there isn't a whole lot of career choices as Undergrad applied physics major. its either technician, part salesman... or go into grad school...
i want to go to grad school in the future but i want to work for few years before applying for grad school. my school offers optical science and engineering, biophysics, and cs double major.

what would be better to get a in engineering field? double major in applied physics and cs or optical science and engineering concentration and minor in computer science?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know who's hiring now. It's a tough time to be graduating.

Have you tried your school's career counseling center (or the equivalent)? I would hope they know who's hiring, and in what fields. Another option: This is career fair time. Check out when your school is holding career fairs. Go see which companies are sending reps. Talk to them about what kinds of grads they want.

I disagree with your advisor. Physics opens up a lot of career possibilities, but the trick is figuring out how to market oneself. Coupling a physics degree with computer science or engineering will give you a lot of marketable skills.

sarick said:
according to my advisor, there isn't a whole lot of career choices as Undergrad applied physics major. its either technician, part salesman... or go into grad school...
<snip>

I (mostly) agree with Choppy- there *are* a lot of career choices for a bright person with a degree in applied physics. There are not a lot of *Physics* options for that person. There are a lot of engineering options (especially with a solid background in optics or cs. Biophysics, too soon too tell), and there is nothing wrong with being a highly skilled tech- they can make quite a bit of cash. Ditto sales reps.

1. What career options are available for someone with a degree in applied physics?

There are a variety of career options available for someone with a degree in applied physics. Some common career paths include working in research and development, engineering, data analysis, or teaching. Applied physicists can also work in industries such as aerospace, energy, healthcare, and telecommunications.

2. How does a degree in applied physics differ from a degree in theoretical physics?

While both degrees involve the study of physics, a degree in applied physics focuses on the practical application of physics principles to real-world problems. This can include designing and developing new technologies or solving complex engineering challenges. A degree in theoretical physics, on the other hand, focuses on the fundamental theories and laws of physics.

3. What skills are important for success in a career in applied physics?

Some important skills for success in a career in applied physics include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in mathematics and computer programming, critical thinking skills, and the ability to work in a team and communicate effectively.

4. Are there any particular industries that are in high demand for graduates with a degree in applied physics?

Industries such as renewable energy, nanotechnology, and biotechnology are in high demand for graduates with a degree in applied physics. These industries are constantly evolving and require individuals with a strong understanding of physics principles to drive innovation and technological advancements.

5. What are some common concerns for students pursuing a career in applied physics?

Some common concerns for students pursuing a career in applied physics may include the level of math and physics coursework required, job prospects after graduation, and the potential for a competitive and challenging job market. It is important for students to research their desired career path and seek out internships or other hands-on experiences to gain a better understanding of the field.