Techniques for solving various differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a graduate level engineering math class that teaches techniques for solving differential equations. The speaker is curious about the physical systems that these equations model, such as the Bernoulli, Ricatti, and Euler-Cauchy equations. They also mention other first order equations that they have not seen applied in their previous courses. The conversation ends with the acknowledgment that these equations are just for practice and do not represent anything specific unless given additional information.
JD88
So I have recently begun my first graduate level engineering math class. The course teaches us different techniques for solving various differential equations. Many of these equations I have never actually seen being applied to something, they are only just examples for us to learn how to solve them. So I am curious what kind of physical systems these equations model.

For example:
Bernoulli Differential Equations
Ricatti Equation
Euler-Cauchy Equations

Many of the other equations are just first order equation that are unlike any I've seen be applied to something in my courses before. Such as...

x (x^2+y^2) dy/dx = y^3

dy/dx = (x+y) / (x-y)

There are many more but I won't bother putting too many specific examples.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to reading your responses.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Ordinary differential equations are used in every field of science.

Euler-Cauchy Equations are used in fluid mechanics and various other places. Same for the Bernoulli equation. I don't have a good example for the Ricatti equation.

x (x^2+y^2) dy/dx = y^3

dy/dx = (x+y) / (x-y)

These equations are just equations for you to solve. They don't represent anything in particular. When you solve them you will have a constant, c, in the result and you can't proceed any further unless information is provided such as, an initial value.

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It can be used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion.

2. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Other methods include Laplace transforms, power series, and numerical methods.

3. How do you know which technique to use for a particular differential equation?

The choice of technique depends on the type of differential equation and its initial/boundary conditions. Some techniques work well for linear equations, while others are better suited for non-linear equations. It is important to analyze the equation and its conditions carefully before selecting a solving method.

4. Can differential equations be solved analytically or numerically?

Yes, differential equations can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact formula for the solution, while numerical solutions use algorithms and calculations to approximate the solution. In some cases, a combination of both methods may be necessary for an accurate solution.

5. How are differential equations used in real-world applications?

Differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and predict complex systems, make informed decisions, and understand the behavior of various phenomena. Some common applications include predicting weather patterns, designing bridges and buildings, and optimizing financial investments.