Bessel Differential Equation With Log

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a differential equation of Bessel type with the use of the Frobenius method and the change of variable to ln(x). However, due to the singularity at x=0, these methods may not work. The introduction of the logarithmic term also complicates the problem, but it is suggested to preempt the solution as f(x)J(x) instead of just J(x) and then work backwards from there.
masqau
I am trying to solved a differential equation of Bessel type,

X^2 Y('')+XY(')+(X^2-n^2)Y+YlogX=0,

where Y(')=d/dx.

Please help me that how to deal with such equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Astrounus.
actually Frobenius method don't work here because of the singularity of log(x), at x=1.

Try to change independent variable from x to u = ln(x). The eq. simplified when I did it, although I haven't double-checked my result.

Torquil

torquil said:
Try to change independent variable from x to u = ln(x). The eq. simplified when I did it, although I haven't double-checked my result.

Torquil

Thanks Torquil.
U know the original equation was,
Y''+xy+n^2y+exp(-x)y=0,
when i used the transformation x=exp(-z/2), i got
z^2y''+zy'+(z^2-n^2)y+ylog(z)=0,
which i already post,
now according to u if z=log(u), than i am sure i will get my original equation (1), with exponential.

masqau said:
Thanks, Astronuc.
actually Frobenius method don't work here because of the singularity of log(x), at x=1.
That was my thinking, but does the equation have to apply at all x, or x=0? I believe the singularity of ln(x) or log(x) is at x=0.

I've sometimes applied a Bessel's equation over a limited range, e.g., finite cylindrical or annular domain.

Last edited:
Frobenius ought to work. solve the homogeneous bessels equation to get a complementary soltn usng frob technique, for non integral values of m. for integral vaues, it ought to give linearly dependent solns. and for a particular integral, try variation of parameters. or mayb greens fxn. i haven't started dealing with bessels equation yet, so don't know if dis'l work.

Astronuc said:
I believe the singularity of ln(x) or log(x) is at x=0.

I've sometimes applied a Bessel's equation over a limited range, e.g., finite cylindrical or annular domain.

u r right the singularity is at x=0.
from limit range u mean, to expand the log(x) into to its series form and than take first two or three terms.
u know this problem is very interesting in the sense that it show the clash of linear and exponential behavior.
if the DE is
y''+(n^2+x)y=0, (1)
its solution is Airy function, now if
Y''+(n^2+exp(2))y=0, (2)
its solution is Bessel function. now combining eq.(1) and (2)
y''+(n^2+exp(x)+x)y=0 (3)
eq(3) is the DE which i had posted.

samreen said:
Frobenius ought to work. solve the homogeneous bessels equation to get a complementary soltn usng frob technique, for non integral values of m. for integral vaues, it ought to give linearly dependent solns. and for a particular integral, try variation of parameters. or mayb greens fxn. i haven't started dealing with bessels equation yet, so don't know if dis'l work.

Frobenius don't work becuase of log(x) and its sigularity.
from variation u mean chnage of variable, its also don't work because chnage of variable create image on the other term, like exp(x) have image of log(x) and vice versa.
Green function can be helpful, can u explain it please?

sorry. turns out i was kinda wrong about everything else too. greens function is used to seek solutions of inhomogeneous equations. but isn't this one homogeneous? the coefficient of Y (i.e zeroth degree derivative) is (X^2 -m^2 + log X). da log term changes things completely. maybe an ordinary power series expansion abt an ordinary point? the functions regular over the entire finite domain cept at 0 (im pretty sure my suggestions are going from bad to worse)

u can preempt the solution, as being possibly of the form f(x)Jn(x), instead of Jn(x). mayb work backwards. I hav no idea how the introduction of the logarithmic term is going to change the behaviour of the D.E. bt going by the nature of log fxns, possibly not uniformly.

samreen said:
u can preempt the solution, as being possibly of the form f(x)Jn(x), instead of Jn(x). mayb work backwards. I hav no idea how the introduction of the logarithmic term is going to change the behaviour of the D.E. bt going by the nature of log fxns, possibly not uniformly.

How about if i put
y=exp(-x)J(x)
hope it works...

interesting...lemme try

1. What is a Bessel differential equation with log?

A Bessel differential equation with log is a special type of differential equation that involves the Bessel function and a logarithmic term. It is used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, including heat transfer, vibrations, and electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the general form of a Bessel differential equation with log?

The general form of a Bessel differential equation with log is x2y'' + x(y' + log(x)y) + (x2-n2)y = 0, where n is a constant known as the order of the equation.

3. How is the Bessel differential equation with log related to the Bessel function?

The Bessel differential equation with log is closely related to the Bessel function, which is a special mathematical function that arises when solving the equation. The Bessel function is used to express the solutions of many physical problems, making it an important tool in mathematics and physics.

4. What are some applications of the Bessel differential equation with log?

The Bessel differential equation with log has many applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in modeling heat transfer, vibrations in mechanical systems, and electromagnetic waves. It is also used in solving boundary value problems and in the study of special functions.

5. How are Bessel differential equations with log solved?

There is no general method for solving Bessel differential equations with log, but there are a few techniques that can be used depending on the specific form of the equation. These include power series solutions, Frobenius method, and integral transforms. Numerical methods may also be used to approximate solutions.