Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book?

• Thread starter sponsoredwalk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Ode
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of the book Ordinary Differential Equations by Tenenbaum/Pollard as a supplement to studying calculus and physics. The person asking for opinions is a self-studier and has found the book Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems by Zill & Cullen to be the best resource. They caution against relying on cheaper, incomplete books and emphasize the importance of finding a comprehensive resource for studying ODE.
sponsoredwalk
Hi, I'm nearly finished with calc III ala Thomas Calculus. I'm really just clearing up any stray concepts and was thinking of getting the Dover book Ordinary Differential Equations by Tenenbaum/Pollard. I'm wondering would the book be a giant leap?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486649407/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1a_8.JPG

The books looks, to me, easy enough if you have a rock solid understanding of calculus but I'd like a few second opinions on that. I'm currently studying physics and I think this book would aid me in getting more advanced texts.

The main question is, would I be able to handle this book based on the knowledge books like Thomas Calculus & University Physics (Young) impart?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been a self studier on Cal III and now PDE. But I did take the class in ODE. I have quite a few other books on ODE and I find:

Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems by Dennis G. Zill & Michael R. Cullen 6th edition the best...Without a doubt.

This book for one is easier to understand. It is well organized. It does have a solution manual but the student edition is not very good. You have to get hold of the instructor's manual. I am still using it as reference for my PDE study because part of it is even better than my Asmar PDE book.

It is going to cost more than the one you questioned, but cheaper is usually not better. I am a self studier and I buy so many books on the subjects I study. I usually have at least 5 books on each of the topic I study. I found expensive books are not necessary good, but the cheap ones are usually not complete. It is only good for maybe reference, never good for studying the subject. I can't help be a sucker for the price, I have a pile of those to show for! I yet to find one of those cheaper books useful for studying the subject. For reference and quick lookup, they might ok. It is almost like they serve as enhancement if you are taking a class or companion of a real textbook, not a stand alone book.

The other one I found useful is the one by Boyce. But this one is harder and is not as well organized and is not complete. But this one have more detail derivation if you really want to dig into it.

BTW, ODE is very very different from the first three Cal class. It really took me a while to bend my mind over! So you really need a complete book. I though the same way after my vector calculus study. I thought ODE was just an after thought! I was surprised, total suprised. I got the first in the class, but I spent sooooooo much time on this subject! I don't even find PDE is that hard compare to the ODE! It was the shocking factor that it was so different for me. So be prepare to dig in and have fun! believe me, I am not the only one that feel this way, Other students in the class said so too. They all said they spent so much time on this subject compare to the other classes.

Last edited:

What is the "Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book" about?

The "Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book" is a comprehensive textbook on Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs). It covers topics such as first and higher order equations, series solutions, and boundary value problems.

Who are the authors of the "Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book"?

The authors of the "Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book" are George E. Pollard Jr. and John J. Tenenbaum. They are both renowned mathematicians and educators, with extensive experience in teaching and research in the field of differential equations.

Is the "Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the "Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book" is suitable for beginners as it starts with a review of basic concepts and builds up to more advanced topics. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to help readers understand and apply the concepts.

Does the "Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book" cover real-world applications of ODEs?

Yes, the "Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book" includes several real-world applications of ODEs such as population dynamics, mechanics, and electrical circuits. These applications help readers see the relevance of ODEs in various fields of science and engineering.

Is the "Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book" a good reference for researchers in the field?

Yes, the "Pollard Tenenbaum ODE Book" is a highly regarded reference for researchers in the field of differential equations. It covers a wide range of topics and provides in-depth explanations and proofs, making it a valuable resource for those looking to deepen their understanding of ODEs.