Formula for X-Y-Theta bend test

In summary, the conversation is about a 4th year mech. engineering student designing a bend test fixture for a co-op company. The student is struggling to calculate the X- and Y-coordinates for the fixture using MATLAB code and has provided formulas and a schematic for reference. Another person suggests treating L_0 as the total length and using parametric plots to represent the beam endpoints. They also provide rewritten formulas for x and y using arc length s and a chosen bend radius r.
96Firebird
Being a 4th year mech. engineering student, you would think I could figure this out. But, for some reason, I can't get the right values. I am designing a bend test fixture for a company I am co-oping for, and although the idea isn't final yet, I figured I'd get a head start on this particular idea. I am looking to setup MATLAB code to give the X- and Y-coordinates for the bend test idea pictured below. The idea came from an article that gave some formulas, but they didn't really help me in my MATLAB code. Here are the formulas given, and the schematic of the fixture:

θ = L0/r
X = (L0/θ)*sin(θ)
Y = (L0/θ)*[1–cos(θ)]

where (inputs):
r = bend radius
L0 = specimen length

[PLAIN]http://a.imageshack.us/img251/2532/idea2schem.png

Can anyone give me a clue as to how I would be able to calculate the X- and Y-coordinates for this setup? We will have two linear motors driving these directions, and would like to go from straight to bent to straight to bent the other direction. Let me know what you can come up with... Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry I don't quite understand what the bend radius is. Can you give a little more insight as to how this works and such.

It looks to me like the curves are given by the formulas for x and y that you posted, as long as you treat [itex]L_0[/itex] not as the specimen length but as the length along the specimen.

If you treat [itex]L_0[/itex] as the total length, a parametric plot of [itex](x(\theta),y(\theta))[/itex] will give you a curve that represents the endpoints of the beam as theta varies.

If you rewrite things as

[tex]x(s) = r \sin\left(\frac{s}{r}\right)[/tex]
[tex]y(s) = r\left(1-\cos\left(\frac{s}{r}\right)\right)[/tex]

where s is the arc length along the beam from the origin, and plot from s = 0 to the total specimen length L_0 for a given value of r (chosen such that the final angle is [itex]\theta = L_0/r[/itex]) it should give the curves in the image you posted. (perhaps rotated)

What is the Formula for X-Y-Theta bend test?

The formula for X-Y-Theta bend test is used to determine the bending behavior of a material under a three-point bending load. It is a mathematical equation that calculates the deflection of the material at various points along its length.

Why is the X-Y-Theta bend test important?

The X-Y-Theta bend test is important because it provides valuable information about a material's flexural strength and stiffness. This information is crucial in determining the material's suitability for certain applications and can also be used to compare different materials.

How is the X-Y-Theta bend test performed?

The X-Y-Theta bend test is performed by placing the material on two supports, with a third support in the middle. A force is then applied at the midpoint, causing the material to bend. The deflection of the material is measured at various points along its length, and the data is used to calculate the bending behavior.

What are the advantages of using the X-Y-Theta bend test?

The X-Y-Theta bend test has several advantages, including its ability to provide precise and quantitative results, its relatively simple setup and procedure, and its versatility in testing various types of materials. It is also a non-destructive test, meaning the material can be used after the test is performed.

Are there any limitations of the X-Y-Theta bend test?

While the X-Y-Theta bend test is a useful tool for evaluating a material's bending behavior, it does have some limitations. It may not accurately represent the material's behavior under certain loading conditions, and the results may be affected by factors such as sample size and shape. It is important to use the test in conjunction with other methods for a comprehensive understanding of the material's properties.