Do Photons of Different Frequencies Have Varying Masses?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativistic mass and its application to photons. The participants debate whether photons have a non-zero relativistic mass and whether it is necessary to use the concept of relativistic mass in the first place. Some argue that it is a useful tool for those transitioning from classical mechanics to special relativity, while others believe it is unnecessary and that energy and momentum are the only relevant quantities. The conversation also touches on the idea that some physicists may have been taught about relativistic mass before realizing that it is not a fundamental concept. Ultimately, the participants agree that the distinction between energy and relativistic mass disappears when the speed of light is set to 1.
Phymath
well while I am assuming I am just an idiot and this is wrong check it out...
[tex] \lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]
[tex] c = f \lambda[/tex]
[tex]p = \frac{hf}{c}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{c}{f} = \lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{c}{f} = \frac{h}{mv} [/tex] v = c for a photon..

[tex] m = \frac{fh}{c^2}[/tex]->[tex] m = \frac{E}{c^2}[/tex]

while this is most likely hugely flawed it brings me to a question...if momentum of a photon is the above 3rd orginal equation, the momentum would increase as the frequency increases, and sense any EM radiation v = c the "mass" of the photon would have to change in a classical view p = mv so...whos to say that photons of all frequencies must have the same mass? let me know what everyones think'n!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Momentum of the photon is not mv. Energy is hf:
[tex]hf=E=\sqrt{p^2c^2+m^2c^4}[/tex]
Since for a photon, m=0,
[tex]hf=pc[/tex]
p is not mv except at velocities small compared with c.

i did not use the momentum for a photon in the formula, i merely used it for the therotical question...and the equations i did use do deal with mass, i was merely useing it possibley show that the mass of a photon could increase with increase in frequency...

It does increasy, at a rate of x times 0.

prove it (0x = m)

Phymath said:
i did not use the momentum for a photon in the formula, i merely used it for the therotical question...and the equations i did use do deal with mass, i was merely useing it possibley show that the mass of a photon could increase with increase in frequency...
Mass is zero. Phymath, you are being inconsistent. First you say
while this is most likely hugely flawed
, then when I point out the flaw, you defend it.

the flaw u pointed out is incorrect, and i will defined it until an undeniable proof is given to me. if i told i might be wrong but 2 + 2 = 4 and u say no its 5 I am suppose to assume ur correct? no i need to see ur proof...

Phymath said:
whos to say that photons of all frequencies must have the same mass?

I don't think anybody does. Just remember that a photon has no rest mass, but it does have relativistic mass. This relativistic mass is dependent on the photon frequency. Just because [tex]m = \frac{E}{c^2} = \frac{hf}{c^2}[/tex]. That's all you need to show this.

so photons have relativistic mass, which is in that form which i said it was up above, and also showed that i realized that was all i had to do above, so are u telling me everyone but me has always known photons DO have mass just no rest mass?...

Anyone, as in any physicist who has done special relativity (SR), and has thus learned to distinguish "the two types of mass."

In classical physics, there is only "one type of mass", and it the one that is equivalent to the rest mass in relativity. So for someone who hasn't gone through SR yet, photon mass is 0 and nothing but 0 and it is ok to think that way for 99.9999% of humanities problems.

The thing called "relativistic mass" is a stopgap measure to help those who have learned Newtonian mechanics transfer their intuition over to SR. Those who have just learned SR, and little else, need it. Those, like me, who work with relativistic particles on a daily basis don't need it. There is only mass ("rest mass") and momentum. In the absence of other energy terms, coming say from field potentials, they add in quadrature to give energy. You can take this energy, divide by c^2 and call it "relativistic mass" if you want, but then it is nothing more than a re-naming of energy (since c never changes).

I totally agree. I wouldn't see any advantage of talking about the relativistic mass of a photon over its energy or momentum. Thanks for the precision krab.

krab said:
The thing called "relativistic mass" is a stopgap measure to help those who have learned Newtonian mechanics transfer their intuition over to SR. Those who have just learned SR, and little else, need it. Those, like me, who work with relativistic particles on a daily basis don't need it. There is only mass ("rest mass") and momentum. In the absence of other energy terms, coming say from field potentials, they add in quadrature to give energy. You can take this energy, divide by c^2 and call it "relativistic mass" if you want, but then it is nothing more than a re-naming of energy (since c never changes).

It's quite common to make the substituion c = 1 (no units), so then the distinction between energy and relativistic mass disappears completely.

I was first taught 'relativistic mass' and later converted to the concept of that there is no such thing as 'relativistic mass'. And I firmly believe this (thought I think this can be just a matter of personal preference).

for photon, the very definition of 'relativistic mass' would be
[tex]m_r=\frac{p}{c}=\frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex]
So what's the big deal about photon have increasing 'mass' (kinetic energy basically) as function of frequency? It does...

Shame

Who cares!

1. What is the mass of a photon?

The mass of a photon is zero. According to the theory of relativity, energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into each other. Photons are pure energy and do not have any mass.

2. How can something with no mass have energy?

Although photons do not have any mass, they do have energy. This energy comes from their movement and their frequency. Photons have a constant speed of light and their energy is directly proportional to their frequency. This is known as the wave-particle duality of light.

3. Can the mass of a photon change?

No, the mass of a photon cannot change. As mentioned earlier, photons do not have any mass and are pure energy. This energy cannot be converted into mass or vice versa. However, the wavelength and frequency of a photon can change depending on the medium it is traveling through.

4. How is the mass of a photon measured?

The mass of a photon cannot be directly measured because it does not have any mass. However, its energy can be measured using instruments such as a spectrometer. The energy of a photon can then be used to calculate its mass using the famous equation E=mc².

5. Does the mass of a photon affect its speed?

No, the mass of a photon does not affect its speed. As stated earlier, the speed of light is constant and does not change regardless of the energy or mass of the photon. This is one of the fundamental principles of the theory of relativity.