Can electric charge be enclosed ?

In summary, it is technically possible to enclose a high electric charge in a non-conducting recipient, but the limit is the material's strength and the breakdown field of the insulator.
tabchouri
Hi everybody

I'm wondering if it is possible to enclose a relatively high electric charge in a non-conducting recipent (say plastic or glass -- macroscopic : centimeters) ?
Is it possible technically ?
if so, what is the limit amount of charge we can enclose ?
if so, would the recipient stay uncharged externally : ie will the recipient attract opposite charges on its external surface OR will the global charge of the recipient stay different from 0 ?

thanks,
tabchouri

PS:
when I said "relatively high charges" I mean |q| > 10e-5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To be much clearer:
I meant an electrostatic charge (+ or -) that is in the center of a glass or plastic sphere: so that the overall charge of the object is not 0. I do not mean a capacitor as the overall electrostatic charge of capacitors is allways 0. Simply : an object that has (and won't lose) an overall electrostatic different from 0 (and in particular |q| > 1e-5),
Can this be done (given current state of technology) ?

You do not give units - do you mean 1e-5 coulomb? On a sphere 10 cm in radius the field at the surface would be 9e+6 V/m. Whether your charge configuration will be stable in the short run depends on the breakdown field of the insulator.

Of course, things do get neutralized: corona, cosmic rays. After some time you will have a kind of Leyden jar with a compensating charge on the outside. In other words: a capacitor.

A different limit is the mechanical strength of the material holding the charges together against their Coulomb repulsion. If a cluster or molecule gets too highly charged (by an Auger cascade for example), it will fly apart in fragments - a Coulomb explosion.

PS: This seems off topic - what is the connection with quantum physics?

Indeed, my question is pretty off topic, I'm sorry for that; but amongst the others, this sub-forum is the most suitable for it (I think)

yes I meant a charge of 1e-5 coulomb,
Assuming a sphere of 10 cm in radius made of glass, would it stand the field of 9e+6 V/m at its surface ? If not, is there any other insulator with high breakdown field that would stand it ?

About the Leyden Jar effect, assuming that the sphere is in pseudo-vacuum (1e-6 torr inside a much bigger glass recipient), will we still have a capacitor after some time (concerning the little sphere, the external big recipient does not matter) ?

Another silly question:
In fact, I need some objects that will interact by great attraction or repulsion (1 to 10 Newton at a distance of 1 meter). That would be electrstatic charges or permanent magnets (neodymuim or other powerful ones). I think that force calculation and prediction for magnet is pretty complex (compared to electric charges). Besides, forces varies at 1/(r^3) for magnets.
This explains my question.

So here goes the silly new part:
assuming a spherical capacitor (radius 10 cm) having in its center a charge +Q, and on the external surface another charge -Q, the global charge will be 0, just like a neutral atom.

With all the shielding an insolation required, is there any configuration that will make the capacitor hold its charge for a very long time (1 year or longer), and more importantly, will this capacitor generate a net electric field outside the sphere (to have interactions between two capacitors).

thank you very much for any help or remarks

Last edited:

1. Can electric charge be enclosed in a container?

Yes, electric charge can be enclosed in a container as long as the container is made of a material that is not conductive. This means that the container does not allow electricity to flow through it, which prevents the electric charge from escaping.

2. What happens to electric charge when it is enclosed?

When electric charge is enclosed, it remains in the container and does not interact with the outside environment. This means that the electric charge does not create any electric fields or attract/repel other charged objects outside of the container.

3. Is it possible to create a perfect enclosure for electric charge?

No, it is not possible to create a perfect enclosure for electric charge. There will always be some small amount of leakage or dissipation of the electric charge due to imperfections in the container and the presence of air molecules inside the container.

4. Can electric charge be transferred into or out of an enclosure?

Yes, electric charge can be transferred into or out of an enclosure through various methods such as conduction, induction, or friction. However, once the charge is inside the enclosure, it will remain enclosed unless there is a conductive path for it to escape.

5. What happens if an enclosed electric charge is brought near another charged object?

If an enclosed electric charge is brought near another charged object, there will be no interaction between the two charges unless the enclosure is opened or the charged object is able to penetrate the enclosure in some way. Otherwise, the enclosed charge will not be affected by the other charged object.