Free Charges in a Dielectric Sphere

In summary, the net electric field in a dielectric sphere with uniformly distributed free charges is due to the addition of these charges, which creates an electric field both inside and outside the sphere. The sphere starts off as electrically neutral, but the addition of free charges changes this. It is important to note that free charges are always added to the dielectric, while bound charges are already present.
*FaerieLight*
Why is it that a dielectric sphere containing free charges, uniformly distributed throughout, has a net electric field? If the sphere is electrically neutral, then all the charges should cancel out, and since the free charges are uniformly distributed, I don't understand why there should be an electric field inside the sphere.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? If you say it contains free charges, I think it means that extra charges are added to the sphere because charges of electrons and nuclei are not "free", unless it is in metal. Perhaps I've misunderstood.

Sorry about the lack of clarity in my question! It was a reflection of the lack of clarity in my mind.
I think I understand the situation now. The sphere starts off as being electrically neutral, then the free charges are added to the sphere, producing an electric field inside it and outside it.
Am I right in saying that free charges are always added to the dielectric, and the bound charges are always already in the dielectric?
Thanks!

What is a dielectric sphere?

A dielectric sphere is a solid object made of an insulating material that has the ability to store electric charges. This material, known as a dielectric, does not allow the flow of electrons through it, which makes it a good medium for storing charges.

How are free charges distributed in a dielectric sphere?

In a dielectric sphere, free charges are evenly distributed throughout the volume of the sphere. This means that the charges are not concentrated at a specific point, but rather spread out in a uniform manner.

What is the effect of a dielectric sphere on an external electric field?

When placed in an external electric field, a dielectric sphere will polarize, meaning that the charges within the sphere will align in a specific direction, creating an internal electric field that opposes the external field. This results in a decrease in the overall electric field within the sphere.

How does the presence of a dielectric sphere affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The presence of a dielectric sphere between the plates of a capacitor increases the capacitance of the system. This is because the dielectric material reduces the electric field between the plates, allowing for more charge to be stored at a lower potential difference.

What factors affect the magnitude of free charges in a dielectric sphere?

The magnitude of free charges in a dielectric sphere is affected by the permittivity of the dielectric material, the size of the sphere, and the strength of the external electric field. The higher the permittivity and the larger the sphere, the greater the magnitude of free charges will be. Conversely, a weaker external field will result in a lower magnitude of free charges.