How to measure phase difference of 2 signals using IQ demodulator

In summary, to measure the phase difference between two 40MHz signals, using the AD8333 board from Analog Devices, one signal should be connected to the LO input and the other to the RF input. The I and Q outputs can then be used to generate a polar plot or digitized to calculate the amplitude and phase. However, since the AD8333 divides the LO input by 4, a PLL VCO running at 4 times the frequency of the input signals is needed to accurately measure the phase difference.
mtxx
for one section of my project, i need to know the phase difference between two signal.
they are both 40MHz, but out of phase by a certain angle.

i have a AD8333 board from Analog Devices,
it is a dual I/Q demodulator consist of double-balanced gilbert cell mixers.

The board has 2 RF inputs, a LO input, and 4 output (I1, I2, Q1, Q2).

I have an oscilloscope to display the results.

according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_detector#Analog_phase_detector
there is a way to measure the phase difference using IQ demoludator.in this post, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=336619
f95toli mentioned that:
the magnitude is just given by the norm (sqrt(I^2+Q^2)) and the phase by the phase angle (arctan I/Q)

So is this method bellow correct?
to get the phase difference of both my RF signal,
i put one the signal into RF input1, and the second signal into the LO,
then i display both the I1, and Q1 in the oscilloscope, and get an get the peak to peak magniture for both the I1 and Q1, then calculate arctan I1/Q1, to get the phase difference?

Engineering news on Phys.org
mtxx said:
So is this method bellow correct?
Yes, almost. But think about it differently.

Select one signal as your reference and apply it as the local oscillator. Connect the other signal to the RF input, which will then be down-converted to DC at the IQ output. The I and Q outputs can drive the x and y axes respectively of the oscilloscope to give you a polar plot. Or you can digitise the I and Q, then compute the amplitude = Sqrt(I^2+Q^2) and the phase = Atan2(I/Q).

You will have a problem with the AD8333 because it divides the LO input by 4 to generate the internal LO quadrature signal. In order to use that chip you might run a PLL VCO at 4 times the frequency of your input signals as your LO. Then apply your two input signals to the two RF channels, use the I output from one channel, through a LP filter, to control the PLL VCO frequency. The other channel outputs, I and Q will then give you the phase difference.

1. How does an IQ demodulator measure phase difference between two signals?

IQ demodulators use a technique called In-Phase and Quadrature (IQ) demodulation to measure the phase difference between two signals. This involves splitting the incoming signal into two components - one that is in-phase with a local oscillator and one that is in quadrature with the local oscillator. The phase difference between these two components can then be measured and used to determine the phase difference between the two signals.

2. What is the accuracy of phase difference measurement with an IQ demodulator?

The accuracy of phase difference measurement with an IQ demodulator depends on several factors, such as the quality of the demodulator, the frequency and amplitude of the signals, and any external noise or interference. In general, modern IQ demodulators have high accuracy and can measure phase differences within a few degrees.

3. Can an IQ demodulator measure phase difference in real-time?

Yes, IQ demodulators are designed to measure phase difference in real-time. The process is fast and efficient, making it suitable for applications that require continuous measurement and monitoring of phase differences between two signals.

4. What types of signals can an IQ demodulator measure?

An IQ demodulator can measure the phase difference between any two signals that are in the same frequency range. This includes analog signals such as AM, FM, and PM, as well as digital signals such as QAM and PSK. However, the demodulator must be properly configured to handle the specific type of signal being measured.

5. Are there any limitations to using an IQ demodulator for phase difference measurement?

One limitation of using an IQ demodulator for phase difference measurement is that it can only measure the phase difference between two signals that are in the same frequency range. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by external factors such as noise and interference. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when choosing an IQ demodulator for a specific application.