What to do after studies? Really don't want to teach.

• Thread starter nomad19095
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studies
In summary, the conversation discusses the prospects and opportunities for someone who has completed their MS and PhD in a specific field, particularly in physics. It is mentioned that during the PhD program, a supervisor helps guide and identify open questions in the field for the student to research. It is also noted that career options after completion of a PhD extend beyond teaching and can include jobs in industry, research, finance, and more. It is suggested that individuals should pursue what interests them and consider different paths to achieve their goals. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of keeping an open mind and considering various perspectives when making decisions about graduate studies and career paths.
nomad19095
I have a question. Let's say i finish my MS, PhD, the whole package. Then what? What are my prospects?Also, while doing my PhD, do I get to choose what I work on or is it picked out for me from a list. My sister's doing a PhD in Biology, and that's what they do. They choose their doctoral topic from a list. Isn't that discouraging to original research?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you start doctoral studies you will not know physics nearly well enough to have any idea what are open questions in your field. That's why you need a supervisor, to tell you what things are unknown and that you might be able to get an answer on.

i'd say the specifics of what research you do isn't as important for most students, as whether it interests you personally, and what skills you get out of it.

afterwards in your job you apply the skills you've learned to design products or operations. for example, you learn about EM wave propagation, so you can design a waveguide to direct the propagation. at microwave frequencies, you can arrange waveguides such that there would be a standing wave inside a cavity, and you get a microwave oven... this is just one example.

or do finance.

Is this PhD going to be in physics? There are many applications than teaching (which is good, because there are far more people who want to teach than there are faculty jobs for them anyway). There are jobs in industry, research and development, for the government and government contractors, national labs, finance/Wall Street, and more. And most of those tend to pay better than academia.

No, you don't pick a PhD topic from a list. At least I don't know anyone who's had that experience in physics/astronomy. You would want to have a general idea about the field you're interested in before picking a grad school (some of them have very specific specialties). When you get to grad school, you'd get to know the professors and figure out who you might be interested in working with (your choice of adviser can have a bigger impact on your grad school experience and job expectations than your choice of field). You and the adviser would figure out what topics interest you and what they could supervise you in, as far as their own knowledge or resources go.

I will give my personal opinion (which is based on my personal experience) and I am sure that some will disagree. The fact that you do not know what 'the prospects' are upon receiving an MS/PhD in your field (whatever it may be) means that you should not really be thinking about doing graduate work. Sure, it's okay to have in the back of your head, but why waste years of work and effort just to have 'prospects?' In my opinion, you should be working toward finding out what you enjoy doing/studying and try to figure out a) how you can make a living by doing this and b) what path you need to follow in order to achieve it. If this means more school, then of course, go for it. Always keep an open mind and realize that getting a job doing what you like and getting a job in the field that you like might be different things. I like physics, but my major and MS are in Mechanical Engineering. I did my MS in an engineering topic that was "close to physics" as I saw it. What I mean is that some parts of engineering are so 'applied' that you can hardly 'see' the physics involved, whereas some ares are so 'theoretical' that you can hardly see the application (at least at first glance). This was the compromise that found acceptable. I can still study physics in my own time and I have really enjoyed studying M.E. as well and my job prospects are pretty good.

Good luck with whatever you do :smile:

Also, one last thing. I think the best advice that I can give is this: Assume that everyone's advice stinks and is biased in some way. So in order to make use of any of it, you should listen to all of it. Don't follow all of it, just listen. Take what you need, and tuck the rest away. You might need it someday.

SaladSamurai Thanks that helped.

1. What are some career options for scientists who don't want to teach?

There are many career options available to scientists who don't want to pursue a teaching career. Some popular options include research positions in academia or industry, science writing or communication, consulting, and working in government or non-profit organizations.

2. How can I find job opportunities in my field of study?

One way to find job opportunities in your field of study is to network with professionals in your field, attend job fairs and conferences, and stay updated on job postings through online job portals and professional organizations. You can also reach out to your university's career center for guidance and resources.

3. Is it necessary to have a PhD to have a successful career as a scientist?

No, having a PhD is not necessary for a successful career as a scientist. Many scientists with a bachelor's or master's degree have successful careers in research, industry, and other fields. However, a PhD may be required for certain positions and can open up more opportunities for career advancement.

4. What skills do I need to have to be successful in a non-teaching science career?

Some important skills for a non-teaching science career include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, communication and teamwork skills, and the ability to adapt to new technologies and techniques. It is also important to have a strong foundation in your field of study and stay updated on advancements in your field.

5. How can I prepare for a non-teaching science career while still in school?

There are several ways to prepare for a non-teaching science career while still in school. You can gain experience through internships, research projects, or volunteer work in your field of interest. You can also take courses or attend workshops to develop relevant skills, network with professionals, and stay updated on industry trends. It is also important to maintain a strong academic record and seek guidance from your professors and career advisors.