End of Realism? Experiments Test Quantum Mechanics

• Thread starter dm4b
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Realism
In summary, an article from 2007 discusses an experiment that was designed to test for realism in the quantum world. The experiment found that realism is more of a problem than locality in quantum mechanics, and that reality may not exist when we are not observing it. The article also mentions that there are other non-local models that have not been ruled out by this experiment. However, there is debate among physicists about the implications of this experiment and whether it truly rules out all hidden variable theories.
lugita15 said:
Perhaps superdeterministic is a bit too strong, but do you at least agree that Bohmians generally do not believe in the free will of the experimenter, even if that is not the reason why Bell's inequality is violated? So in that sense, a measurement was a totally predetermined even in the history of the universe, and thus there's nothing special about contextuality: just like any interaction between particles can can change the states of the particles involved, a measurement of a particle can change its state.
I agree.

lugita15 said:
As for decoherence, if you truly don't believe in wavefunction collapse, then how is measurement philosophically important? It just so happens that under certain circumstances the wave function gets so smeared out by a large number of particle interactions that it becomes difficult to detect wave properties; who cares?
I care and think it is important philosophically because otherwise you cannot understand why collapse is still a useful concept for all practical purposes, even when it doesn't really exist. (I am not saying that decoherence alone is enough to understand it, but it definitely plays an important role in understanding it.)

Physics news on Phys.org
akhmeteli said:
Is this apparent contradiction caused by different definitions?
Even worst, the contradiction is caused by different levels of understanding at different times. When I was writing the older post you quoted, the difference between determinism and superdeterminism was not completely clear to me. In the meanwhile, the difference became much more clear to me:
superdeterminism = determinism + fine tuned initial conditions

I still firmly beliewve that there is some underlying principle or 'mechanism'involved, some form of 'Hidden Variable', perhaps operating on a higher dimension spatially, where entangled prticles share a spatial coordinate despite spearation on any or all the others. We just lack the means to understand/measure such things at this time.

Demystifier said:
Even worst, the contradiction is caused by different levels of understanding at different times. When I was writing the older post you quoted, the difference between determinism and superdeterminism was not completely clear to me. In the meanwhile, the difference became much more clear to me:
superdeterminism = determinism + fine tuned initial conditions

Thank you