Keeping output air pressure constant.

In summary, Victor, an automotive technician, joined the forum and expressed his interest in it. He also mentioned his project which requires 1 psi air pressure and how he is using a 0-5 psi air pressure regulator, but is facing issues with maintaining a constant output pressure due to variable source pressure. Other forum members suggested using a 2 stage regulator or adding a reservoir to the system for better pressure control. Victor also found a different regulator, the Fisher Controls 912N, that could potentially solve his problem.
xxrusianxx
Hello everyone, I am new here and just wanted to take this time to say hi. My name is Victor I am an automotive technician from Boston MA,
I'm really glad I came across this Forum it has deffinetly peaked my interest. With that being said... I do have a question.

I am working on a project which requries 1 psi air pressure. My air source is 125 to 175 psi. So far I have obtained a 0-5 psi air pressure regulator (Dwyer MPR2-0) and can succsessfully set it to 1 psi. However, when my source pressure drops or raises it has a significant effect on my output pressure (+/- 2 psi). Question being, how can I keep my output pressure constant at 1 psi with a variable source pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. That's odd. The output pressure should remain constant as long as the input is greater than the set point. Only thing I can think of is that your flow rate is too high or your regulator is defective. You might also need to use a 2 stage regulator since the source pressure is so much higher than your output.

After doing some research I found a different regulator that does a better job at keeping constant pressure.
Fisher Controls 912N

If you don't have one already try putting a resevoir (air tank) on the 1 PSI part of your system to act as a damper.

Hello Victor, welcome to the forum! I am also excited to have a fellow scientist and technician join our community. To answer your question, there are a few ways you can keep your output air pressure constant at 1 psi with a variable source pressure. One option is to use a pressure regulator with a built-in pressure relief valve. This will automatically release any excess pressure and maintain a constant output pressure. Another option is to use a pressure regulator with a feedback control loop. This will continuously monitor the output pressure and adjust the regulator to maintain a constant 1 psi output, regardless of changes in the source pressure. Additionally, you can also use a pressure stabilizer or accumulator to store excess pressure and release it when needed to maintain a constant output pressure. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

What is output air pressure?

Output air pressure is the amount of force exerted by air as it is released from a source, such as a compressor or pump. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

Why is it important to keep output air pressure constant?

Keeping output air pressure constant is important for ensuring consistent and accurate results in various applications. Fluctuations in air pressure can cause errors in measurements and affect the performance of equipment.

How can output air pressure be controlled?

Output air pressure can be controlled through the use of pressure regulators, which are devices that maintain a specific pressure level by adjusting the flow of air. These regulators can be manual or automatic, and are often used in combination with other control systems.

What factors can affect output air pressure?

Factors that can affect output air pressure include the temperature and humidity of the air, the type and condition of the equipment, and the flow rate of the air. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in pressure, so it is important to monitor and adjust accordingly.

What are the consequences of not maintaining constant output air pressure?

Not maintaining constant output air pressure can result in inaccurate measurements, equipment malfunctions, and potential safety hazards. It can also lead to increased energy consumption and unnecessary wear and tear on equipment. Therefore, it is crucial to regularly monitor and control output air pressure to ensure optimal performance and safety.