A question about an external fuel filter

In summary: This is a common occurrence in transparent plastic filters with paper filtering elements. It is not a cause for concern and does not affect the performance of the filter. In summary, the phenomenon of cavitation explains the partially filled plastic fuel filter in your car, which is a common occurrence and does not affect the filter's performance.
beginner49
My old car has a plastic fuel filter located between the fuel pump and the carburator fuel inlet.

Whatever the engine RPMs are, this filter is only about 40% filled, it is never replete.

This happens whatever the filter position is, vertical, horizontal, tilted...

Currently the filter is positioned vertically, input from pump is downward, output to carb is upward.

I do not observe air bubbles in the liquid when it is flowing.

All people I know, who use this kind of filters, do observe the same; the filters are never fully filled, but half filled.

The filtering element of these transparent plastic filter is paper. I guess most of you know the type of filter I am talking about.

Is there any physical explanation to this partially charged filter when the fuel is flowing throu. Even when no liquid is observe reaching the filter out tip.

Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The phenomenon you are observing is known as cavitation. Cavitation occurs when the pressure of the liquid drops below its vapor pressure. This causes bubbles to form in the liquid which can impede the flow. When the pressure increases, the bubbles collapse and the flow resumes. In your fuel filter, the pressure is likely dropping below the vapor pressure of the fuel when it passes through the filter, causing cavitation and a partial filling of the filter.

What is an external fuel filter?

An external fuel filter is a device located outside of the fuel tank that removes impurities from the fuel before it reaches the engine.

Why is an external fuel filter important?

An external fuel filter is important because it helps to protect the engine from harmful particles and debris that can cause damage and decrease performance.

How often should an external fuel filter be replaced?

The frequency of fuel filter replacement varies depending on the make and model of the vehicle, as well as driving habits. It is generally recommended to replace the filter every 30,000 miles or every 2 years.

What are the signs that an external fuel filter needs to be replaced?

Some signs that an external fuel filter needs to be replaced include difficulty starting the engine, decreased fuel efficiency, engine misfires or stalling, and strange noises coming from the engine.

Can I replace the external fuel filter myself?

It is possible to replace the external fuel filter yourself, but it is recommended to have it done by a professional to ensure it is done correctly and to avoid any potential safety hazards.