14 bits at the output means 16 bits -2 on the MSB side?

In summary, when connecting 14 bits of output to a 16 bit input, the placement of the 14 bits will depend on the specific system and the desired range and resolution. It is possible to connect the MSB to MSB and accept a coarser resolution, or to connect the LSB to LSB and accept a reduction in range. The decision should be based on what the input system expects to receive.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Just trying to check myself, as 14 bits doesn't seem to make sense...so I want to see how does it make sense. Is what written at the title true?

Engineering news on Phys.org
14 bits means just 14 bits. You don't have to fight war for that.

Is what written at the title true?
I suspect it's device specific.

My old system(ca 1973) gave 14 significant bits in its 16 bit word, two MSB's were hardwired together and used for sign .

If you have to connect 14 bits of output to 16 bits of input, you would typically connect those 14 bits to the 14 least significant bits (lsb), leaving the 2 most significant bits (msb).

So yes, what you wrote at the title is true.

Seems simple enough-- thank you.

Femme_physics said:
Just trying to check myself, as 14 bits doesn't seem to make sense...so I want to see how does it make sense. Is what written at the title true?

This is an interface question, I guess and the solution will depend upon the specifics.. If you have only 14 bits and want to connect to a 16 bit input then where you connect will depend upon what the 16 bit input ' expects' to receive. If you want 16 1s to be correspond to the maximum value that your 14 bits correspond to then you would need to connect MSB to MSB and put up with the coarser resolution. If the maximum value your 14 bit signal corresponds to 1/4 of the 16 Bit range, then you would connect LSB to LSB and accept the 1/4 reduction in range but the same resolution.

Or is your 'lack of belief' in 14 bits because you expected data to be in two 8bit bytes?

Where to connect the 14 bits to 16bits depend on the range you want. Usually for maximum range, you map MSB to MSB so you just map the 14MSB to the MS 14 bits of the 16 bit system. Then you just ground the LS 2 bits. With this, you get the full range of the 16 bit system BUT with only 14 bit resolution.

1. What do "14 bits at the output" and "16 bits -2" mean in this context?

In this context, "14 bits at the output" refers to the number of bits (binary digits) that are being outputted by a system or device. "16 bits -2" refers to a specific binary number, in which the most significant bit (MSB) is set to 1 and the remaining 15 bits are zeros.

2. Why is the MSB side mentioned in this statement?

The MSB side is mentioned because it is important in understanding how the 14 bits at the output are related to the 16 bits -2. The MSB side refers to the most significant bit in a binary number, which carries the highest value and can greatly impact the overall value of the number.

3. How is 14 bits equivalent to 16 bits -2 on the MSB side?

14 bits is equivalent to 16 bits -2 on the MSB side because both represent the same binary number. In binary, each bit has a value of either 0 or 1, and the value of a number is determined by adding the values of each bit. So, 16 bits -2 has a value of 2^15 (32768) because the MSB is set to 1 and the remaining 15 bits are set to 0. Similarly, 14 bits also has a value of 2^14 (16384) because it has 14 bits set to 1 and the remaining 2 bits set to 0. Therefore, both numbers have the same value but are represented with a different number of bits.

4. What is the significance of having 14 bits at the output instead of 16 bits?

The significance of having 14 bits at the output instead of 16 bits depends on the specific context and application. It could mean that the system or device is limited to only outputting 14 bits, which could impact the accuracy or precision of the output. It could also mean that the system has a lower resolution and can only output numbers up to 14 bits in length.

5. Can the number be converted back to 16 bits with the same value?

No, the number cannot be converted back to 16 bits with the same value. This is because the original number, 16 bits -2, was created by setting the most significant bit to 1 and the remaining 15 bits to 0. If we were to add 2 more bits to this number, the value would change and it would no longer be equivalent to the original number. However, if the 14 bits at the output were to be expanded to 16 bits by adding 2 more bits, the value could still be similar but not exactly the same.