Magnetic Field Energy: Is It Greater to Push than Pull?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the idea of using the energy from magnetic fields to keep a magnet in motion. However, this is not possible as energy cannot be created or destroyed and perpetual motion machines have been proven to be impossible. The conversation also touches on the topic of free energy, which is also not possible.
iedoc
The idea is really simple, but it might not come out in words the same.

Is the energy produced from a magnet pushing another magnet away GREATER than the energy needed for a magnet to enter a magnetic field from the side?

I'll try to be more specific. You have two magnets, one in your left hand and one in your right hand, who's north poles (or south) are facing each other, so they will be pushed away when they get too close. If you put keep their orientation (left magnets north is facing right, and right magnets north is facing left) and put the left magnet above the right magnet, then "slide" or push the right magnet up into the left magnets magnetic field so that it gets pushed to the right, will the energy of the magnet being pushed to the right as it enters the left magnets magnetic field be GREATER than the energy it took to push the right magnet into the left magnets magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
iedoc said:
The idea is really simple, but it might not come out in words the same.

Is the energy produced from a magnet pushing another magnet away GREATER than the energy needed for a magnet to enter a magnetic field from the side?

I'll try to be more specific. You have two magnets, one in your left hand and one in your right hand, who's north poles (or south) are facing each other, so they will be pushed away when they get too close. If you put keep their orientation (left magnets north is facing right, and right magnets north is facing left) and put the left magnet above the right magnet, then "slide" or push the right magnet up into the left magnets magnetic field so that it gets pushed to the right, will the energy of the magnet being pushed to the right as it enters the left magnets magnetic field be GREATER than the energy it took to push the right magnet into the left magnets magnetic field?

No. There is no free energy.

i know energy cannot be created or destroyed. I think I might have asked the question wrong. basically what I'm wondering is if we are able to use the energy from the magnetic field. for example, if we are able to have a magnet pushed away from another magnet, into another magnets magnetic field, then have that magnet push the magnet away into another magnet's magnetic field, and continue doing that, so that the energy from the magnetic fields keeps the magnet in motion. does that make sense? I have it all perfectly laid out in my head, i just can't find a very clear description of what I'm thinking.

it's really a such a simple idea i doubt it would work, because I'm sure if it did, it would have been discovered a long time ago. but I'm still curious since I've never heard of it before

iedoc said:
i know energy cannot be created or destroyed. I think I might have asked the question wrong. basically what I'm wondering is if we are able to use the energy from the magnetic field. for example, if we are able to have a magnet pushed away from another magnet, into another magnets magnetic field, then have that magnet push the magnet away into another magnet's magnetic field, and continue doing that, so that the energy from the magnetic fields keeps the magnet in motion. does that make sense? I have it all perfectly laid out in my head, i just can't find a very clear description of what I'm thinking.

No, the motion would slow down and stop. Perpetual Motion Machines (PMMs) of all sorts have been explored and debunked as impossible.

We do not discuss PMMs or Free Energy schemes at the PF. Here are two good links for understanding why PMMs and Free Energy cannot work:

http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

I would say that the energy produced from a magnet pushing another magnet away is equal to the energy needed for a magnet to enter a magnetic field from the side. This is because both actions involve the same fundamental force of magnetism and the same amount of work is required in both scenarios.

However, the perception of greater energy may come from the fact that it takes more effort to push the magnet away due to the repulsive force between the two magnets. In contrast, when entering the magnetic field from the side, the magnet may slide in more easily due to the alignment of the magnetic fields.

Ultimately, the amount of energy involved in both scenarios depends on the strength of the magnets and the distance between them. So, it is possible for the energy to be greater in one scenario compared to the other, but it is not necessarily always the case.

It is important to note that when discussing energy, we must also consider the conservation of energy principle. This means that the total energy in a system remains constant, so while the energy may appear to be greater in one scenario, it is simply being transferred from one form to another.

In conclusion, the energy produced from a magnet pushing another magnet away is not necessarily greater than the energy needed for a magnet to enter a magnetic field from the side. Both actions involve the same fundamental force and the perception of greater energy may come from external factors such as the effort required to push the magnets.

1. What is a magnetic field energy?

A magnetic field energy is a form of energy that is produced by magnetic fields, which are created by electrically charged particles in motion. It is a type of potential energy that is stored in the space surrounding a magnet or an electric current.

2. How is magnetic field energy created?

Magnetic field energy is created when electrically charged particles, such as electrons, move through a conductor or material. This movement creates a magnetic field, which in turn produces magnetic field energy.

3. Is it true that pushing a magnet creates more magnetic field energy than pulling it?

Yes, it is true that pushing a magnet can create more magnetic field energy than pulling it. This is because pushing a magnet involves moving it against the direction of its magnetic field, which requires more work and therefore creates more energy.

4. Can magnetic field energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, magnetic field energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when a magnet is moved near a conductor, it can induce an electric current, converting the magnetic field energy into electrical energy.

5. How is magnetic field energy used in everyday life?

Magnetic field energy has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in electromagnets used in motors and generators, magnetic storage devices like hard drives, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines in the medical field. It is also used in transportation systems, such as in magnetic levitation trains.