I am interested in science,but am majorly confused

• Thread starter Khushbu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary: B.Sc(Hons) Physics program. In summary, the conversation is about a 12th grade science student from India who is very passionate about becoming a physicist and is facing discouragement from those around them. They express their frustrations and doubts, but also their determination to pursue their dream. The conversation also touches on the importance of interests and following one's passion, rather than just focusing on money and societal expectations. There is also a discussion about the different paths one can take with a science degree and the opportunities available in India.
Khushbu
Hey. New here. I am a 12th science student, from India. I LOVE science. I have been dreaming of becoming a physicist since class 6. So obsessed with it..i even dreamt of Einstein once! :tongue2: But its not a crazy obsession..i know what all sacrifices i'll have to make for it. Financial instability at times, giving up all my other hobbies (i love shopping), living day and night with a concept and researching, all this because I am so INTERESTED in it. I am no scholar at school (yeah, i used to get 90% upto 10th) but that's because of hard work and you don't really need brains to ace the exams. But the problem here is, the discouragement. No one here understands your dream. Its just so frustrating...! I cry myself to sleep so many times. Over the past two years, people have dismissed my dream for silly whims. I believe and want to make an ideal world for myself. But everyone here, parents included, lay more stress on money. Tell me, is money so imp. for living?? If it gives you a meal twice a day, isn't it enough? Aren't interests imp.? There's a crazy fad here to pursue engineering. Or medicine. As if other options in science don't even exist. Isn't it like, if you are good at something, it can take you to great heights? That people around will respect you and you get paid for what you're worth?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tell me, is money so imp. for living?? If it gives you a meal twice a day, isn't it enough?
A scientific fact is that people who don't take their breakfast before going to work or schools always have a slow body temperature increase since early morning, which affects their mental activities pretty much. I eat 3 times/day.
Aren't interests imp.? There's a crazy fad here to pursue engineering. Or medicine. As if other options in science don't even exist.
Yes they are, it is not crazy to pursue a legal interest, but pursue it illegally.
"As if"? Will I be able to get a Nobel prize if I can answer "why homosexuality exists ?"
Isn't it like, if you are good at something, it can take you to great heights? That people around will respect you and you get paid for what you're worth?
I personally find myself interested in trees and branches. All things come from a single root that a tree grows up until it has branches. I don't find anything odd if I see someone acting weird but harmless to anyone in a meeting room or at a workplace, because I remind myself that diversity does exist as always. I enjoy the fun out of anything possible, as the meaning of life is the choice one makes to realize what can make others more meaningful and precious, a respect that can tell.

Urmm, by 'a meal twice a day' i meant the basic necessities of life..i wasnt referring to breakfast in particular. Ofcourse i do have breakfast.
I understand, its justified to do anything that is legal, but anything apart from medicine and engg. is usually discouraged here. Thats what i meant.
And the last part, sorry i don't understand what you're trying to say

What i want to know is, whether i should take science in the future. Whether a dream can take me ahead..or whether i should get realistic like the rest of 'em. I need some serious advice.

Khushbu said:
What i want to know is, whether i should take science in the future. Whether a dream can take me ahead..or whether i should get realistic like the rest of 'em. I need some serious advice.

Science can be applied in many contexts not just specifically in the lab.

If you want to work out the lab then you will need to work on that aspect, but again it's what you make of it.

I might be saying things that are out of context for your situation since you live in India rather than where I live, but again I still think that you do have choices and that you can also create choices yourself, but if the road has not been paved then you will have to pave it yourself and most likely you won't always get support for taking risks and trying something new, but this is your choice.

Also remember that it doesn't necessarily have to do with science: many people use their experiences in all kinds of domains: you could be a journalist who talks about scientific issues, you could be a teacher, you could even end up as a politican!

But buyer beware, as I said before if the leap is big from science to something else, then you will need to acknowledge the leap and the effort required to go from one to another as well as the realities and the potentialities (one is always with another in this regard).

Thanks. That was helpful.

"There's a crazy fad here to pursue engineering. Or medicine."

What do you mean? engineering and medicine are not science?

I think you should do what you want to do, and worry less about what others think. One good idea to stop this is by not telling them your dreams, especially telling people you dream of Einstein and other irrelevant matters. That's not really weird, since no one can control their dreams, but you're just attracting attention for no reason.

Just do what you want to do, simple and India is a great place to learn most of it due to vast amount of resources you can get there to learn the sciences, the tutors, books, problems to work on are endless. Although I believe getting a spot in university can be rather tough?

Kholdstare said:
"There's a crazy fad here to pursue engineering. Or medicine."

What do you mean? engineering and medicine are not science?

They're applied sciences right, I like pure sciences

@NewtonianAlch: Yeah. That's right. Will do that from now on. Urmm..for graduation,it's easy. That's because NO one wants a regular B.Sc degree. The college I want to get in, has a cutoff of 65%. (St. Xaviers, might have heard of it) Post grad and research, good institutes are difficult. Because the population's huge, competition's huge too.

Khushbu said:
They're applied sciences right, I like pure sciences

You’re in 12 grade, you don’t know what you like. Or at least you don’t know what you like to do. You might know what you like to learn, but you’re (hopefully) going to spend a lot more time doing things than you will spend in school.

Keep an open mind, you might be surprised.

1. What is the best way to choose a specific field of science to study?

The best way to choose a specific field of science is to explore your interests and passions. Think about which subjects or topics you enjoy learning about the most, and which ones you excel in. You can also speak with a career counselor or research different scientific fields to gain a better understanding of what each one entails.

2. What should I do if I am interested in multiple fields of science?

If you are interested in multiple fields of science, you can consider pursuing a degree in a related interdisciplinary field or double majoring. You can also look into research opportunities or internships that combine different areas of science.

3. How can I overcome confusion about the different branches of science?

One way to overcome confusion about the different branches of science is to do some research and familiarize yourself with the various fields. You can also speak with professors, professionals, or students who have experience in different areas of science to gain a better understanding of their differences and similarities.

4. What resources are available to help me understand different scientific concepts?

There are various resources available to help you understand different scientific concepts, such as textbooks, online articles and videos, scientific journals, and educational websites. You can also attend lectures or seminars, join study groups, or ask your professors for clarification.

5. How can I stay updated with new advancements and discoveries in the scientific world?

To stay updated with new advancements and discoveries in the scientific world, you can subscribe to scientific journals or magazines, follow credible science news websites or social media accounts, attend conferences or seminars, and network with other professionals in your field.