Some thoughts hoping to clear up

• Thread starter wukunlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary, the individual is in their final year of bachelors and considering their options for the future. They are majoring in optoelectronics and are interested in research and troubleshooting. They have observed that most job openings in private companies require a masters degree and are wondering if it is necessary for a job in commercial R&D. They are also considering salary differences between research and troubleshooting positions.
wukunlin
Gold Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing the final year of my bachelors and I'm going to have to make some important decisions. There are things I have observed but I'm not sure whether they are true in general.

At the moment I am majoring in optoelectronics (laser physics + electrical engineering). I enjoy both research and troubleshooting (technical?) type of work. So I think these job fields are what I will be aiming for.

-From the job openings I seen from looking around on the web (not finding many research positions available in private companies, especially in Australasia), most of the prefer to have at least done masters. Does that mean in order to have a decent chance of getting a job in commercial R&D, postgrad research is almost necessary? I can't see myself spending 3+ years on a PhD thesis (due to financial reasons and opportunity costs). A masters degree in my university will take 1 year which will put a lot less time at stake.

-research jobs in private companies tend to have higher salaries than troubleshooting technicians right? Or is that just a misconception?

all input appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
-research jobs in private companies tend to have higher salaries than troubleshooting technicians right?

Correct.

What is the purpose of "Some thoughts hoping to clear up"?

The purpose of "Some thoughts hoping to clear up" is to provide clarification and understanding on a particular topic or issue.

Who is the intended audience for "Some thoughts hoping to clear up"?

The intended audience for "Some thoughts hoping to clear up" can vary depending on the topic, but generally it is aimed towards individuals who are seeking information and knowledge on a specific subject.

How reliable is the information presented in "Some thoughts hoping to clear up"?

The reliability of the information presented in "Some thoughts hoping to clear up" depends on the credibility and expertise of the author. It is important to critically evaluate the information and consider multiple sources before accepting it as fact.

Can "Some thoughts hoping to clear up" be used as a primary source of information?

No, "Some thoughts hoping to clear up" should not be used as a primary source of information. It can serve as a starting point for research, but it is important to verify the information with other sources.

How can "Some thoughts hoping to clear up" be improved or expanded upon?

"Some thoughts hoping to clear up" can be improved or expanded upon by including more evidence and supporting sources, as well as addressing any potential biases or limitations in the information presented.