Phd maths searches a job in finance

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's plan to finish their PhD in math and their interest in finding a job in finance. They mention having some knowledge in math finance and ask for advice on how to get a job in finance. Other forum members suggest networking and posting resumes on recruiting sites, and also mention the importance of programming skills, specifically in C++. The person plans to brush up on their programming skills in preparation for job applications.
kungfupanda
I'm going to finish my PhD in maths in a few next months. I'm looking for a new job for the future. I really exciting in looking for a job in Finance. But, I don't know where is the starting point. I have learned a course on maths finance when I was in master program. So I understand a little bit about maths finance. But roughly speaking, I am null about maths finance and finance. I heard that there are many Phd in maths who come to work for financial corporations or bank, etc. I don't know how come they can do that? If is there anyone who knew about how it is and what is the strategy to get a job in finance corporation, please help me out!
Thank you very much for your information!

Physics news on Phys.org
what is the strategy to get a job in finance corporation, please help me out!

As with any job, networking.

twofish-quant has posted a number of useful threads regarding searching for and applying to finance jobs. One of the key themes he brings up is that many finance jobs, specifically those seeking a PhD in a highly quantitative field such as math or physics, do not actively advertise, so networking is important, or send off resumes to the right recruiters/headhunters.

I believe he has provided a list of known recruiting sites where you can post your resume (I don't remember them offhand, but you can do a quick search of twofish-quant's handle and you should be able to find them).

Thanks guys! I have read some posts of twofish. That are great advices! I still have one question that C++ is really important? Before when I was in master, I did not bad at code in matlab, since then I didn't code anymore cause I do kind of math pure, unless draw some figures in MATLAB which is a part of my job (just for illustration). I'm not bad at algorithm but I'm totally null at some other program such as mapple, or language C++, etc. Is it a big problem for me if I apply for a job as a quantitative resercher or etc in Finance? Is it the main requirement of the employee profile?

Last edited:
kungfupanda said:
Thanks guys! I have read some posts of twofish. That are great advices! I still have one question that C++ is really important? Before when I was in master, I did not bad at code in matlab, since then I didn't code anymore cause I do kind of math pure, unless draw some figures in MATLAB which is a part of my job (just for illustration). I'm not bad at algorithm but I'm totally null at some other program such as mapple, or language C++, etc. Is it a big problem for me if I apply for a job as a quantitative resercher or etc in Finance? Is it the main requirement of the employee profile?

I'm not an expert by any means on this (twofish-quant and others have direct experience working as a quantitative analyst in Finance), but from what I understand, much of the work for such analysts involve extensive algorithm development and programming, often using C++ (possibly also Java, lesser extent MATLAB), so yes, I think it is important for you to have at least a decent understanding of programming in that language, among others.

My suggestion would be to spend some on your own brushing up on your programming skills through self-learning. There are plenty of materials online available, as well as books to get you started (again, others have posted about this, so you may want to search the forums for recommended materials).

Thanks agains! I have started learning C++, it's not too complicated as I thought!

1. What are the job prospects for a PhD in mathematics seeking a job in finance?

The job prospects for a PhD in mathematics seeking a job in finance are generally very good. Many companies, particularly in the financial sector, value the analytical and problem-solving skills that come with a PhD in mathematics. Additionally, with the increasing use of quantitative models in finance, there is a growing demand for individuals with strong mathematical backgrounds.

2. What types of jobs are available in finance for someone with a PhD in mathematics?

There are a variety of jobs available in finance for someone with a PhD in mathematics. Some common roles include quantitative analyst, financial engineer, risk analyst, and data scientist. These roles typically involve using mathematical models and statistical methods to analyze financial data and make informed decisions.

3. Do I need any additional qualifications or experience to work in finance with a PhD in mathematics?

While a PhD in mathematics is often a strong qualification for a career in finance, some employers may also require additional qualifications or experience. This could include certifications in finance, programming languages, or specific software tools. It is important to research the specific requirements of the job you are interested in to determine if any additional qualifications or experience are needed.

4. What skills are important for a PhD in mathematics to succeed in a finance job?

Some important skills for a PhD in mathematics to succeed in a finance job include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, proficiency in programming languages and statistical software, and the ability to work with and interpret large datasets. Communication and collaboration skills are also important, as many finance roles involve working with a team and presenting findings to non-technical stakeholders.

5. What industries or companies are most likely to hire someone with a PhD in mathematics for a finance role?

Industries and companies that are most likely to hire someone with a PhD in mathematics for a finance role include banking, investment firms, insurance companies, and consulting firms. These industries often have a need for individuals with strong quantitative skills to analyze and make decisions based on financial data. Additionally, technology and data-driven companies may also have a demand for individuals with a PhD in mathematics to work in finance-related roles.