Physics = Mechanical Engineering ?

In summary, there is a fair amount of overlap between a B.S. in physics and a B.S. in mechanical engineering, with similar coursework in areas like thermodynamics and mechanics. However, there are also significant differences, such as the inclusion of courses like mechanics of materials and the difference in content for thermodynamics. It may be possible for a student with a physics degree to supplement their knowledge and training and pursue a career as a mechanical engineer, but it could require an extra 2 years of intensive coursework and may be difficult due to the sequencing of courses. Additionally, there is some overlap between electrical and mechanical engineering, making it a potential option for someone with a physics degree looking to transition into engineering. Ultimately, the decision should be based
Moneer81
Physics = Mechanical Engineering ?

Hello,

Something just occurred to me last night.

A B.S. in physics covers almost the same material covered in a B.S degree in mechanical engineering. Think about: thermodynamics, statics, mechanics, etc.

Of course the latter does have more coursework geared towards the applications of those concepts and I assume a focus on tools and computer software to utilize this knowledge. However, I wonder if it is possible to get a job as a mechanical engineer if you supplement your physics degree with some ME knowledge and CAD training?

Physics news on Phys.org

What physics program has students take "statics"? I can imagine maybe some do, but it's certainly not standard. Beyond that, MEs don't take condensed matter, E&M, optics, modern physics courses, GR, etc. There's some overlap but not a ton.

Pengwuino said:
There's some overlap but not a ton.
Almost all of which is during the freshman and sophomore years. Beyond that, very little.

What physics program includes mechanics of materials? None that I have ever seen, and yet that is a key course in the ME curriculum. On the thermal size, the physics thermo is quite different from ME thermo, so even though the name is the same, the content is not.

Yes I agree, there are a lot of differences, but there is a good amount of overlap, or at least a good deal of preparation. I am just wondering if a student with a physics degree can easily (relatively) bag a degree in ME

Moneer81 said:
Yes I agree, there are a lot of differences, but there is a good amount of overlap, or at least a good deal of preparation. I am just wondering if a student with a physics degree can easily (relatively) bag a degree in ME

This shouldn't be hard to figure out for yourself. You're clearly at a university or are planning on attending one; look at the course catalogs and determine how many courses would it take to get a ME degree after completing a physics degree.

I would think you would need to figure on at least an extra 2 years of very intensive course work. It may be difficult even then because a lot of the courses are sequences, two or three deep. If you don't get started when you need to, it may be very hard to get the whole sequence done.

Moneer81, in your previous thread, you had stated that you had already completed a BS in physics and had taken most of the coursework related to earning your BS in electrical engineering.

While I'm not an engineering grad myself, I have known many engineers and from what I understand, there is a fair degree of overlap between electrical and mechanical engineering (certainly in the first 2 years, and even in some of the more senior courses, e.g. control systems). I used to work for an engineering company (as a consultant statistician) which employed both electrical and mechanical engineers and both groups often did similar work. I have also known people who completed a BS in one field and earned graduate degrees in another.

Therefore, in your situation, I would think it would not be too difficult to transition to becoming a mechanical engineer. Speak to the people at the respective departments at various schools and see what they have to say in terms of requirements.

OldEngr63 said:
On the thermal size, the physics thermo is quite different from ME thermo, so even though the name is the same, the content is not.

I agree - I am just experiencing the differences. I also had thought that as a physicist I am well prepared for engineering thermodynamics.

But it is actually harder than I thought to get a feeling for technical thermodynamics and to solve real-world problems quickly, even if the mathematics is simple. It takes a lot of practice to work with datasheets efficiently, get the numbers right etc.

Knowing how to prove laws or the understanding of concepts is not as helpful as I thought.

StatGuy2000 said:
Moneer81, in your previous thread, you had stated that you had already completed a BS in physics and had taken most of the coursework related to earning your BS in electrical engineering.

While I'm not an engineering grad myself, I have known many engineers and from what I understand, there is a fair degree of overlap between electrical and mechanical engineering (certainly in the first 2 years, and even in some of the more senior courses, e.g. control systems). I used to work for an engineering company (as a consultant statistician) which employed both electrical and mechanical engineers and both groups often did similar work. I have also known people who completed a BS in one field and earned graduate degrees in another.

Therefore, in your situation, I would think it would not be too difficult to transition to becoming a mechanical engineer. Speak to the people at the respective departments at various schools and see what they have to say in terms of requirements.

Well as you can tell, I am completely lost and confused.

I want to do something that I love. Yes I do have a B.S. in physics, but I ended up in the IT field. I really dislike IT now, and I really want to do something I am passionate and will be passionate about for years to come.

The good thing is that I have it narrowed down. I am not thinking outside of a couple fields: physics, EE and ME. I am trying to base my decision on what kind of career I will have in the future. I am trying to decide if I want to be an engineer, or if I would like to be in the academia (love the academia, but it seems very competitive and not enough positions).

I know that only I know what I am passionate about, so forgive my apparent lack of direction. I know that I need to really think, research and talk to people about my options, and that's kinda what I am doing here on this forum. Thanks for all the advice!

I've never heard of any physics degrees that teach FEA, which is a major component of engineering nowadays. Or actually any fluids, heat transfer or dynamics that is actually required to solve real world problems.

They're quite different degrees...

I've never heard of any physics degrees that teach FEA

Numerical methods was a required course for an undergrad degree at both my undergrad and grad institutions. Also, the mathematical methods required to understand how the theory works should be straightforward to an upper level physics major.

That being said, it can be very hard for a physics major to break into engineering- its easy for a company to hire a mechanical engineering major, harder to hire a physics major.

Physics has much more in common with electrical or materials engineering (especially materials) than with mechanical engineering.

In fact I couldn't think of something less related than mech E that's not humanities or social sciences.

ParticleGrl said:
Numerical methods was a required course for an undergrad degree at both my undergrad and grad institutions. Also, the mathematical methods required to understand how the theory works should be straightforward to an upper level physics major.

That being said, it can be very hard for a physics major to break into engineering- its easy for a company to hire a mechanical engineering major, harder to hire a physics major.

ParticleGrl, your statement above is more geared towards physics majors who wish to work in an engineering position, not physics majors going back to school to pursue a second degree in mechanical engineering, which is what the OP had been contemplating (in this thread and in a related thread).

I would say there is not very much overlap, because most of the physics is missing from Mech E. I DON'T think that mechanical engineers study ANY of the following:

- Electricity & Magnetism
- Optics
- Quantum Mechanics
- Special and/or General Relativity
- Classical Mechanics*
- Condensed Matter/Solid State Physics
- Nuclear and/or Particle physics

A BSc in Physics will take most, if not all of these.

In other words, ALL of modern physics (and some of classical physics) is missing from most engineering programs.

Edit: to be fair, an electrical engineer might take courses on the first three on that list in some form.

*(using Lagrangian or Hamiltonian formalism instead of Newtonian)

Nevermind. The OP wants to know about those parts of Mech E that don't intersect with physics, not vice versa.

My bad.

On the bright side, if you have a physics degree, then you have all the necessary math for Mech E.

On the downside, you're missing all the practical experience and applied/technical knowledge that makes a good engineer.

I did a degree that amounted to EE + Physics, but some of my friends did ME + Physics instead, and they had courses on topics like

- vibrations
- FEA (as someone mentioned)
- bolts and other fasteners (I'm serious)
- fluid dynamics
- heat transfer

That's just to name a few (I'm a bit ignorant of the technical aspects of mech e, at least in comparison to my knowledge of ee)

Then there's the courses common among engineering disciplines like

- drafting/CAD
- materials engineering
- computer programming
- economics for engineers
- engineering law and ethics

The issue of FEA has been raised, and it has been said that a physics graduate should be able to understand the mathematics behind the method. That is no doubt true, but that is a long way from being able to effectively apply the technology. Knowing the mathematics behind the method is only the barest beginning. There is a great deal of "technique" involved in becoming really proficient with FEA, and the mathematical background gets you about 2% of the way there. There is a LOT more to learn.

Most Mech Engrs will study a little bit of E&M, Optics, and Quantum Mechanics, just about enough to know that they don't really want to know any more, in a Physics class.

It is not at all uncommon for Mech Engrs to get into the use of Lagrange's equations as well as Newton's equations of motion. I have definitely taught this at the undergraduate (junior) level.

Another difference: Thermo. Mechanical engineers take at least one, and often more than one, class on thermodynamics. For many physics majors, the little module on thermo in freshman/sophomore physics is the full extent of their knowledge.

D H said:
Another difference: Thermo. Mechanical engineers take at least one, and often more than one, class on thermodynamics. For many physics majors, the little module on thermo in freshman/sophomore physics is the full extent of their knowledge.

Don't most take statistical mechanics?

From what I'm picking up a summary might read as follows:

It will only be as hard to get a degree as the number of classes your uni will require you to take.

The hard part is that for the last few years you haven't been thinking about what you're learning in a ME/EE context but rather about how it applies to physics. Those connections are important. I'm sure you understand what I mean but I'll give an example for readers who might not. I can analyze a circuit in a phyics context with a sufficient theoretical understanding of how resistors and other components work but because I learned about circuits in a physics context I missed the engineering bit. So, when I went to design some circuits for a project I didn't know what a footprint was which made it very difficult for me to actually lay out the PCB.

why did oldengr63 get banned 0_0

I can't say for sure but maybe it has to do with his collection of posts that read similar to the following quote:

OldEngr63 said:
I answered your first question just above; believe it.
I think I have pretty well told you that the second question make no difference (can you read?).

1. What is the difference between physics and mechanical engineering?

Physics is a broad field of science that studies the fundamental laws and principles governing the natural world, while mechanical engineering is a specialized branch of engineering that applies these principles to design, analyze, and manufacture mechanical systems and devices.

2. Can someone with a physics degree work as a mechanical engineer?

While a degree in physics can provide a strong foundation in understanding physical principles, a mechanical engineer requires additional specialized knowledge and training in topics such as mechanics, materials science, and thermodynamics. However, with additional education and experience, a physicist can transition into a career in mechanical engineering.

3. Is physics a prerequisite for studying mechanical engineering?

While a strong understanding of physics is important for mechanical engineering, it is not always a prerequisite. Many universities offer introductory courses in physics as part of their mechanical engineering curriculum to ensure students have the necessary foundation to succeed in the program.

4. What are some common applications of physics in mechanical engineering?

Physics is used in mechanical engineering to analyze and design various systems such as engines, turbines, heat exchangers, and other mechanical devices. It is also used to study the behavior of materials under different conditions, which is crucial in developing new materials and improving existing ones.

5. How do physics and mechanical engineering overlap?

Physics and mechanical engineering overlap in many areas, such as thermodynamics, mechanics, and materials science. Mechanical engineers use principles from physics to analyze and design mechanical systems, while physicists often conduct research and experiments to discover new physical laws and phenomena that can be applied in engineering.