Any luck with online tutoring?

• Thread starter dkotschessaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutoring
In summary, the individual is looking to tutor over the summer but is limited by transportation options. They are considering online tutoring options such as tutor.com, but are skeptical due to past experiences with "online jobs" and "make money from home" offers. They are also unsure about the effectiveness of online tutoring without face to face contact. The individual mentions their expertise in math and doubts the benefit of online tutoring for those who struggle with math. They also note that many schools offer free tutoring and question the demand for online tutors.
dkotschessaa
I'm looking to tutor this summer - but my options are pretty limited since I don't have real transportation at the moment. I live 2 miles from my campus, but they don't need me over the summer.

I'm wondering about online places like tutor.com. Are they any good? I'm always suspicious of "online jobs" and "make money from home."

I could also do a craigslist ad and offer to do it over Skype or something, but I'm not sure how effective any of this is without face to face contact.

It's possible I just need to get my car fixed. :devil:

-DaveK

p.s. I'm talking for math, btw. I'm not sure how conducive it is to online work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that people who struggle with math and need tutors wouldn't really benefit as much from an online tutor. Especially depending on what level of Math you're working with.

I have a tutor for my Calculus II course and sometimes I don't even understand things with him sitting there right next to me and pointing stuff out.

Also, I think many schools offer free tutoring so I'm not sure how much the online tutors get hired, but I imagine that not a lot.

My university offers free tutoring, but I'm targeting mostly high school kids this summer, since it'll be my first foray into tutoring. This fall I'll be working in my universities tutoring center, doing calc I and II.

1. What subjects can I receive online tutoring for?

Online tutoring is available for a wide range of subjects including math, science, English, history, and foreign languages. Some tutors may also offer specialized subjects like coding or music lessons.

2. How does online tutoring work?

Online tutoring typically involves a virtual meeting between the tutor and student through a video conferencing platform. The tutor may use a virtual whiteboard or share their screen to provide instruction and assistance.

3. Is online tutoring as effective as in-person tutoring?

The effectiveness of online tutoring depends on the individual student and their learning style. Some students may find it more convenient and comfortable, while others may prefer in-person interactions. However, online tutoring can be just as effective as in-person tutoring with the right tutor and approach.

4. How do I find a reputable online tutor?

There are many online platforms that offer access to verified and reputable tutors. It is important to read reviews and do research on a tutor before committing to their services. You can also ask for recommendations from friends, family, or teachers.

5. How much does online tutoring cost?

The cost of online tutoring varies depending on the subject, level of expertise of the tutor, and the platform used. Some tutors may charge by the hour, while others may offer packages or subscription plans. It is important to discuss and agree on the cost before starting sessions with a tutor.