Calculating Power from Mass, Speed and Height - 250W

In summary, a man of mass 70kg riding a bicycle of mass 15kg at a steady speed of 4ms-1 up a road with a 1m rise for every 20m of length develops a power of 250W, when there is a constant resistance of 20N. This can be calculated using the formula P = F x v or by using the work-energy approach, where the work done by the cyclist is equal to 250 J in 1 second. The mistake in the previous calculations was not taking into account the constant speed and the negative direction of the resistive force.
roovid
work, energy, power helpp

question:

A man of mass 70kg rides a bicycle of mass 15kg at a steady speed of 4ms-1 up a road which rises 1m for every 20m of its length. what power is the cyclistdeveloping if there is a constant resistance to motion of 20N?

Ans: 250W

My sol'n so far:

Sin∅ = 1/20
in 1second object moves 4m
therefore
1/20 = x/4
x = 0.2m

Ep = mgh
=85(10)(0.2)
=170

Ek=0.5mv2
= 0.5(85)42
= 680

Ek+Ep= 170 + 680
= 850

work done by resistive force = fs
= 20(4)
= 80

Wcyclist= [ Ep + Ek ] + Wresistive force
= 680 + 80

stuck
please help
where am i going wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note, the general concept is Wcyclist + Wresistance = ΔEk + ΔEp.

Note those Δ's!. They mean "change in". The speed of the cyclist is "steady". So what is the change in kinetic energy as the cyclist goes up the hill?

Also, is the work done by the resistance force positive or negative? (Hint: What is the direction of the resistance force relative to the direction of motion?)

Once you get the work, how do you get the power?

how do i find del E now?
i do not understand how to proceed from what u said
resistive force will be -ve
please help

You can see your mistake by checking the units for each of your calculations ...

Try another approach:

Work = force times distance, therefore:
Power = force times speed.

THANK U
i think i got it out

used the component of weight parallel the to the displacement axis for the F grav and it worked out.
thnx again

w parallel to plane
85(10)(1/20)
=42.5

p = (42.5 + 20)4
= 250W

Great! Simon's suggestion was a very good one (although I don't see anything wrong with your units - maybe I'm just not seeing it.)

The same answer follows from the work-energy approach:

Wcyclist + Wresistance= ΔEk + ΔEp

Wcyclist - 80 J = 0 + 170 J.

So, Wcyclist = 250 J. Since this is the work done in 1 second, the power is 250 J/s or 250 W.

But the "F times v" method gets the answer with less effort.

I really wanted to point out that 170+80=250 but that would have been the same as handing out the answer :)

Note on units: I had interpreted them:
Ep=mgh but what he calculated was mgv ... units J/s
Eres=20Nx4m/s (i.e. Fv)... units: J/s
EK=0.5mv2 ... units J
... spot the odd one out :)
...of course, I realize - these were just energy calculations for 1 second in time ... and he did say, once, but I missed the import. I don't like to encourage the "work it out it for one second" thing because that can obscure some of the concept - like here where it would imply that moving costs you 0.5mv2 every second!

It is usually more constructive to adopt a "work out the equation first then bung in the numbers" approach that I had, hopefully, modeled.

Simon, OK. Good.

oh lol
thnx for the input
much appreciated

my prob was i wasnt noticing that speed was constant, so the would have no change in the kinetic value

Last edited:
<mutter>mind you I also prefer energy arguments to force ones</mutter>
Ho well it's all good ... cheers.

1. How do I calculate power from mass, speed, and height?

To calculate power, you will need to use the formula P = mgh/t, where P is power, m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is height, and t is time. Multiply the mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height, and then divide by the time in seconds to get the power in watts (W).

2. What units are used to measure power?

Power is measured in watts (W), which is equivalent to joules per second (J/s). Other common units of power include horsepower (hp) and kilowatts (kW).

3. Can I use this formula for any object or only for objects falling from a height?

This formula can be used for any object that is moving at a constant speed from a specific height. However, if the object is accelerating or decelerating, a different formula would need to be used.

4. How does mass affect power?

Mass does not directly affect power. However, the more massive an object is, the more energy it will require to move it at a certain speed and height, resulting in a higher power output.

5. Is power the same as force?

No, power and force are not the same. Force is a measure of the strength of a push or pull on an object, while power is a measure of how quickly work is done or energy is transferred. Power takes into account the time it takes to perform the work, while force does not.