Is the Claim that Ic = Ie and Veb = 0.7 Volts Accurate for this Circuit?

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the author is relying on a resource that claims that the current flowing through the base of a transistor is always pretty small. The current through the base bias circuit is also usually neglected, and if we treat Ib as being zero then I1 is the same as I2.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The current through the base of a transistor is always pretty small.

Often it is neglected to make the calculations easier.

I see you also have Ic=Ie.
These 2 currents are also not exactly the same.
It should be Ie=Ic+Ib.
So here the base current is also neglected.

How big do you think Ib is (approximately)?

I see you also have Ic=Ie.
These 2 currents are also not exactly the same.
It should be Ie=Ic+Ib.
So here the base current is also neglected.

The exercise tells me to assume Ic = Ie , that's why I wrote it :)

How big do you think Ib is (approximately)?

I'm told that the base current is negligible

Femme_physics said:
The exercise tells me to assume Ic = Ie , that's why I wrote it :)

I'm told that the base current is negligible

So if we treat Ib as being zero, then I1 is the same as I2...Btw, I believe you have a formula ##I_e = β I_b##, with β the amplification factor.
For a BJT transistor, β usually has a value of about 100.

In other words the base current is about 100 times as small as the emitter current.

What he said...

It's common for a circuit designer to choose the current flowing in the base bias circuit R1 and R2 to be at least 10 times the expected base current so that the base current can be ignored (engineers 1/10th rule). Sometimes worth assuming that they have done this, solving the rest of the problem to work out the collector current and then go back and check your assumption was correct.

In this case if we assume the base current can be ignored then IR1 is about 0.1mA

So the base is at about 8V and the emitter 8.7V

So Ie is about 12-8.7/R3 = 1.1mA

If the transistor is half decent it will have a gain of 100 so the base current about 1.1mA/100 = 0.011mA which is indeed ten times less than 0.1mA.

Ahh...yes... since IB is irrelevant the same current flows... true...

Thanks :) I'll solve it tomorrow and see if I get the same results.

Looks ok. For completeness you should probably comment on the discharge time through R4. Negligible in this example but might not allways be.

Hey!
There is a little squirrel in there!
That looks alright. :)

Thanks you two :)

And yea, everybody loves the Ice Age squirrel!^^

1. What should I do if I think I found a mistake in a scientific study?

If you believe you have found a mistake in a scientific study, the first step is to carefully review the evidence and data to ensure that your assessment is accurate. Once you have confirmed the mistake, you should contact the authors of the study and provide them with your findings. They may choose to revise their study or publish a correction.

2. How can I tell if a mistake in a scientific study is significant?

Determining the significance of a mistake in a scientific study can be a complex process. It is important to carefully analyze the mistake and its potential impact on the results and conclusions of the study. If the mistake changes the overall interpretation of the study or affects the validity of the results, it should be considered significant and brought to the attention of the authors.

3. Is it common for mistakes to be found in scientific studies?

While scientists strive for accuracy in their research, mistakes can happen in any study. However, the scientific community has established rigorous peer review processes to catch and correct any mistakes before a study is published. Additionally, scientists are expected to be transparent about any mistakes found in their research and make corrections when necessary.

4. Can a mistake in a scientific study be intentional?

Intentional mistakes in scientific studies are extremely rare. Scientists are held to high ethical standards and are expected to conduct their research with integrity. However, if you suspect that a mistake in a study may have been intentional, it should be reported to the appropriate authorities for further investigation.

5. What impact can a mistake in a scientific study have on future research?

A mistake in a scientific study can have various impacts on future research, depending on the nature and significance of the mistake. In some cases, it may require the study to be replicated or the results to be reinterpreted. In more serious cases, it may lead to the retraction of the study and potentially affect the credibility of the authors and their future research.