Find the Total Current in a Single Loop Circuit

In summary, the conversation is about finding the current flowing through a circuit. The relevant equation used is Amps=Total Voltage / Total Resistance. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation (20 + 12 + 12 + 3) / (10 + 5 + 30 + 40 + 20 + 15)=0.39A, but the user is unsure if it is correct and asks for help. They also mention needing clarification on the right-hand rule for magnetic fields. The expert advises to pay attention to the polarity of the individual voltage sources when going around the circuit and suggests a different equation, resulting in a current of 0.00833A.
Walley1

Homework Statement

Find the current flowing through the circuit.
http://wildedge.zxq.net/IMG.jpg

Homework Equations

Amps=Total Voltage / Total Resistance

The Attempt at a Solution

(20 + 12 + 12 + 3) / (10 + 5 + 30 + 40 + 20 + 15)=0.39A

I'm almost certain that this is wrong. I don't even know if the formula I used is actually valid. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

On an unrelated note, has anyone seen a good explanation of the right-hand rule (for magnetic fields)?

***Sometimes, the image might not display. I don't know why. If that happens, right click the little icon that shows in its place and copy the image URL.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your Relevant Equation is okay, but beware that the polarity of the individual voltage sources matter; look closely at each of the battery symbols as you 'go around' the loop.

if you go around the loop carefully, i think the answer is (-20+12+12-3)/(5+30+40+20+15+10)=0.00833A

1. What is a single loop circuit?

A single loop circuit is a type of electrical circuit that has only one continuous path for current to flow through. It typically consists of a power source, such as a battery, and one or more resistors connected in a loop.

2. How do I calculate the total current in a single loop circuit?

To calculate the total current in a single loop circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). Simply add up the resistances of all the components in the circuit and divide the voltage by the total resistance to find the total current.

3. What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is the ampere (A), which is equal to one coulomb per second. This measures the rate of flow of electric charge through a conductor.

4. Can the total current in a single loop circuit ever be negative?

No, the total current in a single loop circuit can never be negative. Current is defined as the flow of positive charge, so it can only have a positive value. If the calculated current is negative, it means that the direction of current flow is opposite to the assumed direction.

5. What factors can affect the total current in a single loop circuit?

The total current in a single loop circuit can be affected by the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the components in the circuit, and any changes in the circuit's configuration. Temperature and the type of material used for the conductors can also have an impact on the total current.