Questions about the downward gravitational force and Newton's second law

In summary, when an object is dropped out of a plane at height h and constant speed v0, the only force acting on it is gravity. This results in the differential equation mx'' = 0 for the horizontal component and my'' = -mg for the vertical component. Integrating these equations yields x(t) = v0t + x0 and y(t) = h - (1/2)gt^2, where v0 is the initial velocity and x0 is the initial position.
cytochrome
Say an object is dropped out of a plane at height h above the ground and flying at a constant speed v0...

Ignoring air resistance, the only force on the object is the gravitational force, but it will still move in the direction that the plane was moving, right?

So if Fg is the only force acting on the object,
Fg=Fnet=ma

My question is - when solving this equation and integrating, why do you end up with
x(t)= v0*t
y(t)= h - (1/2)gt^2

I'm fully aware that (m/s)(s)= m which explains the x coordinates, but where does v0*t come in when solving the differential equation??

Fg = (mgcos270, mgsin270) = (0, -mg)
→mx'' = 0 and my'' = -mg

How can you integrate 0 and get v0*t??

EDIT: I know how to get y(t)= h -(1/2)gt^2
How do you get x(t) = v0*t when mx'' = 0?

Science news on Phys.org
integrating one time you get,
dx/dt=c,where c a constant.(integration of zero is a constant and not zero). From the initial condition,c=v0 and integrating one time again you get that.

but it will still move in the direction that the plane was moving, right?
Right, as there is no force in horizontal direction. However, the 3-dimensional "direction of the movement" changes as it gets a component downwards.

but where does v0*t come in when solving the differential equation??
In the first integration of a=0 for the horizontal component, you get an integration constant: v=c1
The second integration then gives x=c1t + c2 (another integration constant). As those integration constants correspond to the initial velocity and initial position, they are called v0 and x0 and you get x(t)=v0t + x0.

1. What is the downward gravitational force?

The downward gravitational force, also known as the force of gravity, is a natural phenomenon that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is the force that keeps us grounded on Earth and is responsible for the motion of celestial bodies in our solar system.

2. How is the downward gravitational force calculated?

The downward gravitational force is calculated using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. This means that the larger the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it.

4. How does Newton's second law relate to the downward gravitational force?

Newton's second law is directly related to the downward gravitational force because it explains how the force of gravity affects the motion of objects. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force of gravity and the more force is needed to accelerate it downward.

5. Can the downward gravitational force be counteracted?

Yes, the downward gravitational force can be counteracted by an equal and opposite force, as explained by Newton's third law of motion. This is how objects are able to stay in a state of equilibrium, such as a book resting on a table or a satellite orbiting the Earth.