Ultra / Supercapacitors - Recommendations

• Thread starter ramonegumpert
  • Start date
In summary, I believe that these capacitors can provide power for low current drain applications, but they are not mainstream and are not reliable.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts

I am trying to buy some supercapacitors but not sure which is more reliable or good value.

Could you kindly recommend a brand or supplier or company for this?

Thanks for reading.

Best regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
supercapacitor size and ratings vs power

Dear Experts

My understanding is Farads is a measure of the Capacitor or power of a capacitor.

I have seen a supercapacitors rated at about 70Farads that are of dimension : 18mm x 45mm
and the same rated capacitors much larger like the size of a coke can.

So, are they the same in terms of power capacity and
is it because of the way the materials in the capacitor are arranged?

Thanks.

regards
Ramone

I have not seen too many real products using super-caps, mostly for one-off and novelty builds and experiments. So for typical quality info - no much to go on. I know they can be bought though sparkfun.

This still does not answer your question, and I am by far not an expert, but I just ordered 15 of these: 1182-1011-ND
from digikey. I have only used them for some bench testing and I won't have results for a few weeks/months from the intended project. From my reading though, the above referenced company is really active in producing supercaps and related products.

Windadct said:
I have not seen too many real products using super-caps, mostly for one-off and novelty builds and experiments. So for typical quality info - no much to go on. I know they can be bought though sparkfun.
bolding mine

hmmm... Is this all Chinese propaganda then?

http://www.maxwell.com/products/ultracapacitors/industries/transportation

Every day, in nearly 5,000 buses from China to Italy, Maxwell ultracapacitors are enabling hybrid and all-electric drive vehicles to save fuel and reduce emissions.

---------------------------
I should mention that I have invested heavily in MXWL, and therefore have an invested interest, in the interest of people in über-capacitors.

OmCheeto said:
Every day, in nearly 5,000 buses from China to Italy, Maxwell ultracapacitors are enabling hybrid and all-electric drive vehicles to save fuel and reduce emissions.

hmmm... Is this all Chinese propaganda then?

I don't know, but considering London Transport operates a fleet of 7500 buses just for one city, 5000 worldwide isn't much of a market share.

The total UK bus fleet is 42,000 buses plus 11,000 coaches and minibuses, according to https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../file/11854/annual-bus-statistics-2011-12.pdf

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
I don't know, but considering London Transport operates a fleet of 7500 buses just for one city, 5000 worldwide isn't much of a market share.

I would do the maths, on how much energy/money the London Transport could save/waste each year by utilizing ultracapacitor driven busses, but I have to go shopping.

---------------------------
It's Small Business Saturday!

ramonegumpert said:
Dear Experts

My understanding is Farads is a measure of the Capacitor or power of a capacitor.

I have seen a supercapacitors rated at about 70Farads that are of dimension : 18mm x 45mm

Thanks.

regards
Ramone

In addition to capacitance, check the ripple current and maximum charge/discharge rates for the different construction capacitors. IIRC, simple supercaps have very limited discharge current capability (good for battery backup of low power circuits, but not for high current drain applications).

My point being that they still are not too mainstream - reliability and value judgments come from experience with the items. The challenge of these is the density - the OP does not say how they are using them, what criteria are important - etc. As for reliability - caps are measured on the scale of 10Ks to 100K+hours and at elevated temperatures - and then statistically, meaning over large numbers. Not to disparage the PF - but if you are asking the question here it is a general inquiry- so just buy some and use them - if they fail it is more likely user error than the product.
As for the Buses - only Hybrid Buses would benefit so a small percentage of the total - yet only someone familiar with that project could speak to the value - the larger metro markets love to step up to try the latest technologies for political reasons, not to mention the manufacturers practically give the technology away to get the first big application. I would not call it "Chinese" - but it is just corporate propaganda - a statement like this from Maxwell says nothing about quality or reliability. If you have to go to the OEM for endorsement - then you are not looking in the right arena.
For larger power applications - you are looking at 300V + so you need these in series, thus dividing the capacitance - for that I have not seen a practical application - and I interact with about 200 companies annually in power electronics.

ramonegumpert said:
Dear Experts

Thanks.

regards
Ramone

screeeetch... back up, rewind..

So you don't know how capacitors work, but you want to buy supercapacitors?

What are you planning on making?

1. What is the difference between ultra and supercapacitors?

Ultra and supercapacitors are both energy storage devices, but they differ in their energy storage mechanisms. Ultra capacitors store energy electrostatically, while supercapacitors use a combination of electrostatic and electrochemical processes. This makes supercapacitors capable of storing more energy and delivering it at a faster rate.

2. How do ultra/supercapacitors compare to traditional batteries?

Ultra/supercapacitors have a higher power density and can be charged and discharged much faster than traditional batteries. However, they have a lower energy density, which means they can store less energy per unit mass or volume. This makes them more suitable for applications that require quick bursts of energy, such as in hybrid vehicles, but not for long-term energy storage.

3. What are the potential applications of ultra/supercapacitors?

Ultra/supercapacitors have a wide range of potential applications, including renewable energy storage, electric vehicles, consumer electronics, and military and aerospace technologies. They are also being explored for use in medical devices, such as pacemakers, due to their long lifespan and high reliability.

4. Are there any limitations to using ultra/supercapacitors?

One limitation of ultra/supercapacitors is their high cost compared to traditional batteries. They also have a lower energy density, which means they may not be suitable for all energy storage applications. Additionally, they have a limited lifespan and may degrade over time with frequent charging and discharging cycles.

5. What are some recommendations for using ultra/supercapacitors?

Some recommendations for using ultra/supercapacitors include considering the specific energy requirements of the application, as well as the cost and lifespan of the device. It is also important to properly size and configure the capacitor bank to ensure optimal performance. Additionally, regular maintenance and monitoring can help extend the lifespan of the ultra/supercapacitor system.