A question about gravimetric analysis

• Thread starter chem_tr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation involves a question about calculating the halogen percentage of two chlorinated organic compounds. The individual asking the question has provided their own solution, but it differs slightly from the textbook's answer. They are unsure of the cause of this difference and are requesting a solution using gravimetric factor. The expert summarizer suggests that the deviation may be due to neglecting the stoichiometric ratio of molecule/chlorine and provides a revised equation.
chem_tr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hello, I have been studying undergraduate level chemistry courses for PhD proficiency exam, and I have very recently been started Analytical Chemistry.

I have a simple problem and I solved it in a different way, could you please show me how I can solve it by using the known "gravimetric factor"? Or I maybe have used it without noticing :smile:

The question is as follows:

An organic sample, weighing 0.2795 grams and known to include [itex]\displaystyle C_6H_6Cl_6~(290.83~g/mol)[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle C_{14}H_9Cl_5~(354.49~g/mol)[/itex], is ignited with oxygen gas in a quartz tube, and products obtained (CO2, H2, and HCl) are passed from a NaHCO3 solution. After acidification, the total chloride ions are found to precipitate 0.7161 grams of AgCl (143.22 g/mol). Calculate the halogen percentage of each chlorinated organic compounds.

Okay, my solution goes like this:

290.83x+354.49y=0.2795 g
6*35.5x+5*35.5y=0.005*35.5 g (0.005 is the number of moles of AgCl)
from there, rearrangement gives the following:

290.83x+354.49y=0.2795 g
-425.388x-354.49y=-0.35448 g

adding and dividing reveals that x=0.00055723 and from the second (or first) equation, y is found to be 0.0003313.

The gram equivalents of these x and y are 0.1620592 grams and 0.11744254 grams, respectively.

Their percentages are 57.98% and 42.02%, respectively.

The textbook says that the correct answers are 57.80% and 42.20%, resp.

My questions:

1) What is the cause I am getting different answers? I am suspecting from using 35.5 grams/mol for chlorine atom; maybe I have to find more precise number from elsewhere; it is not given to me in this question.

2) Can you please show the solution of this problem by using gravimetric factor, along with its description? I have been unable to comprehend it so far.

Thank you for your interest.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm not too familiar with this version of gravimetric analysis. Your answer does not seem too far off from the text's, so I'm not quite sure...perhaps the small deviation is because you neglected to use the stoichiometric ratio of molecule/chlorine. In the first organic compound it seems to be 1/6 and the second 1/5. Thus you're second equation may need to appear as 6*35.5(6moles/1mole)x+5*35.5(5moles/1mole)y=0.005*35.5 g (0.005 is the number of moles of AgCl).

Dear student,

Thank you for your question about gravimetric analysis. It seems like you have approached the problem correctly, but there may be some small errors in your calculations. Let's go through the problem step by step and see where the discrepancy may be coming from.

First, we need to determine the moles of each compound present in the sample. We can do this by dividing the mass of each compound by its molar mass. This gives us:

\displaystyle n_{C_6H_6Cl_6} = \frac{0.2795~g}{290.83~g/mol} = 0.000962 moles

\displaystyle n_{C_{14}H_9Cl_5} = \frac{0.2795~g}{354.49~g/mol} = 0.000788 moles

Next, we need to determine the moles of chlorine present in each compound. We can do this by multiplying the number of moles of each compound by the number of chlorine atoms in each compound. This gives us:

\displaystyle n_{Cl~in~C_6H_6Cl_6} = 0.000962~moles \times 6~atoms = 0.005772~moles

\displaystyle n_{Cl~in~C_{14}H_9Cl_5} = 0.000788~moles \times 5~atoms = 0.003940~moles

Now, we can use the gravimetric factor to calculate the mass of AgCl that should be formed from each compound. The gravimetric factor is the mass of AgCl that is formed from 1 mole of chlorine. In this case, it is 143.22~g/mol. Therefore, we can calculate the expected mass of AgCl from each compound as follows:

\displaystyle m_{AgCl~from~C_6H_6Cl_6} = 0.005772~moles \times 143.22~g/mol = 0.8269~g

\displaystyle m_{AgCl~from~C_{14}H_9Cl_5} = 0.003940~moles \times 143.22~g/mol = 0.5642~g

Now, we can compare this to the actual mass of AgCl that was precipitated

What is gravimetric analysis?

Gravimetric analysis is a method used to determine the quantity of a substance in a sample by measuring its mass. It relies on the principle that the mass of a substance is directly proportional to its quantity.

What types of samples can be analyzed using gravimetric analysis?

Gravimetric analysis can be used to analyze solid, liquid, or gas samples. However, the sample must be in a homogeneous form and should not react with the solvent used in the analysis.

What is the process of gravimetric analysis?

The process of gravimetric analysis involves several steps, including sample preparation, precipitation, filtration, washing, drying, and weighing. The sample is first dissolved or converted into a suitable form for precipitation, which is then filtered and washed to remove impurities. The precipitate is then dried and weighed to determine its mass.

What are the advantages of gravimetric analysis?

Gravimetric analysis is a highly accurate and precise method of analysis, making it suitable for determining small quantities of substances. It also has the advantage of being independent of the chemical properties of the substance being analyzed.

What are the limitations of gravimetric analysis?

Gravimetric analysis can be time-consuming and requires a high level of skill and precision. It is also limited to substances that can be precipitated and must be free from impurities. Additionally, the analysis can be affected by external factors such as temperature and humidity, which can alter the mass of the sample.