Total Charge on Conducting Hollow Sphere

In summary, the method of images has been used to show that a dipole outside a grounded hollow conducting sphere will induce a non-zero charge on the sphere. This is due to the difference in geometry between a sphere and a plane, and there is no reason for the induced charge to be equal in magnitude to the point charge. The method of images is a way to make the potential zero on the surface of the sphere by placing imaginary charges inside the sphere.
*FaerieLight*
I've just worked out using the method of images that the total induced charge on a grounded hollow conducting sphere in the presence of a dipole outside the sphere pointing in the radial direction is non-zero. I can't think of an intuitive explanation as to why a dipole outside would induce a non-zero charge on the sphere.

I think the problem goes back to why a point charge outside a hollow conducting sphere would induce a net charge on the sphere that is not equal in magnitude to the point charge, which seems to be the case also, according to the method of images. I suppose there is no reason for the induced charge to be equal to the point charge in magnitude, but then for a grounded conducting plane, with a point charge above it, the induced charge on the plane is the same in magnitude to the point charge! I don't get why it should be equal in magnitude for a plane, and why it isn't for a sphere. I know they have different geometries but I can't see what specific difference in their geometries leads to the difference in induced charge magnitude.

Could someone please help me understand this?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider an extreme dipole: One charge close to the sphere and the other charge at "infinite distance": You have a net charge close to the sphere, which will attract the opposite charge towards the sphere.

I suppose there is no reason for the induced charge to be equal to the point charge in magnitude
Right. They are equal for an infinite sheet only.
but then for a grounded conducting plane, with a point charge above it, the induced charge on the plane is the same in magnitude to the point charge!
Only in the limit of negligible distance to the sphere (or infinite radius of the sphere).

*FaerieLight* said:
I think the problem goes back to why a point charge outside a hollow conducting sphere would induce a net charge on the sphere that is not equal in magnitude to the point charge, which seems to be the case also, according to the method of images.

There's no particular reason for the real charge and the image charge to be equal.

The significance of a "grounded conducting sphere" is that the potential [itex]V[/itex] must be everywhere [itex]0[/itex] on the surface of the sphere. That's what "grounded" means.

The method of images is a guess as to how to make the potential zero on the surface of the sphere by placing imaginary charges inside the sphere.

Let's work in the x-y plane, with a sphere of radius [itex]R[/itex] centered at the origin, and a point charge [itex]Q[/itex] on the x-axis at a distance [itex]X[/itex] from the origin. We guess that the charges on the sphere have the same effect outside the sphere as if there were a point charge [itex]Q'[/itex] on the x-axis at a distance [itex]X'[/itex] from the origin. An arbitrary point [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] on the sphere in the x-y plane will have coordinates

[itex]\vec{r} = R cos(\theta) \hat{x} + R sin(\theta) \hat{y}[/itex]

The distance of this point from [itex]Q[/itex] is
[itex]D = \sqrt{R^2 - 2RX cos(\theta) + X^2}[/itex]

The distance of this point from [itex]Q'[/itex] is
[itex]D' = \sqrt{R^2 - 2RX' cos(\theta) + X'^2}[/itex]

For the potential at the point on the sphere to be zero, it must be that:

[itex]\dfrac{Q}{D} + \dfrac{Q'}{D'} = 0[/itex]

This equation must be true for all values of [itex]\theta[/itex]. That determines [itex]Q'[/itex] and [itex]X'[/itex], and there's no particular reason for [itex]Q'[/itex] to be equal in magnitude to [itex]Q[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating the total charge on a conducting hollow sphere?

The formula for calculating the total charge on a conducting hollow sphere is Q = 4πε0R1R2(V2-V1), where Q is the total charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, R1 and R2 are the inner and outer radii of the hollow sphere, and V1 and V2 are the potential differences at the inner and outer surfaces, respectively.

2. How does the total charge on a conducting hollow sphere vary with the potential difference?

The total charge on a conducting hollow sphere is directly proportional to the potential difference between the inner and outer surfaces. This means that as the potential difference increases, the total charge also increases.

3. Can the total charge on a conducting hollow sphere ever be negative?

No, the total charge on a conducting hollow sphere cannot be negative. Conducting materials have the ability to redistribute their charges, so any excess charge will always move to the outer surface, resulting in a positive total charge.

4. How does the total charge on a conducting hollow sphere change if the inner and outer radii are changed?

The total charge on a conducting hollow sphere is directly proportional to the product of the inner and outer radii. This means that if the radii are increased or decreased, the total charge will also increase or decrease, respectively.

5. Is the total charge on a conducting hollow sphere affected by the shape of the sphere?

No, the total charge on a conducting hollow sphere is not affected by the shape of the sphere. As long as the inner and outer surfaces are spherical and the material is conducting, the total charge will remain the same regardless of the shape of the sphere.