From where the E inside the battery comes from?

• Thread starter kashan123999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Battery
In summary, the electric field is present inside the battery even before an external circuit is connected. This is due to the redox chemical reaction that moves ions to their respective terminals, creating an electric field and potential difference. The work required to push charges from the negative terminal to the positive terminal is done by the energy provided by the battery. Once charges accumulate at the terminals, the redox process propels ions to move against the electric field, increasing the voltage and E field energy. This process is known as conventional current.
kashan123999
So as I am junior high school student just learned that when the terminals of wire are connected to a battery,an E (electric field) is established inside the battery from positive to negative end/terminal (How did I assumed one as positive and one as negative? COnvention regarding electric fields,am i right?),Work is required to push say,positive charges from negative terminal to positive terminal i.e against the electric field (WHY? obviously to build potential/potential difference b/w both ends) so the work is done by the energy provided by the battery,When positive end would be have charges and negative end do not have them...obviously the current would start to flow from positive to negative terminal...all of this is actually conventional current..

My question is,from where the Electric field inside the battery comes from?

Physics news on Phys.org
kashan123999 said:
So as I am junior high school student just learned that when the terminals of wire are connected to a battery,an E (electric field) is established inside the battery from positive to negative end/terminal (How did I assumed one as positive and one as negative? COnvention regarding electric fields,am i right?),Work is required to push say,positive charges from negative terminal to positive terminal i.e against the electric field (WHY? obviously to build potential/potential difference b/w both ends) so the work is done by the energy provided by the battery,When positive end would be have charges and negative end do not have them...obviously the current would start to flow from positive to negative terminal...all of this is actually conventional current..

My question is,from where the Electric field inside the battery comes from?

The EMF is present inside the battery before any external circuit is connected. Have a read through this introductory article at wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(electricity )

:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
berkeman said:
The EMF is present inside the battery before any external circuit is connected. Have a read through this introductory article at wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_(electricity )

:smile:

thank you i would surely read it as well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The redox chemical reaction moves the ions to their respective terminals creating an electric field and potential difference. Once charges accumulate at the terminals, the redox process is propelling ions to move against the electric field. This increases the voltage at the terminals (potential difference) as well as increase the E field energy. Did I help?

Claude

The electric field inside a battery is created by the separation of charges within the battery. When a battery is manufactured, a chemical reaction takes place that separates positive and negative charges within the battery. This separation of charges creates an electric field that runs from the positive terminal to the negative terminal. This electric field is what allows the battery to produce a potential difference and provide energy to a circuit.

As for the convention of labeling one terminal as positive and the other as negative, it is simply a convention that has been established in the scientific community. This convention helps us to understand the direction of current flow and the direction of the electric field within a circuit.

Overall, the electric field inside a battery is a result of the chemical reactions that occur during its manufacturing process. This electric field is essential for the battery to function and provide energy to a circuit.

1. How does a battery produce electricity?

A battery produces electricity through a chemical reaction between two electrodes and an electrolyte solution. The electrodes are usually made of different materials, such as zinc and copper, and the electrolyte solution allows ions to flow between them, creating a flow of electrons that can be harnessed as electricity.

2. Where does the energy in a battery come from?

The energy in a battery comes from the chemical energy stored in the materials used to make the electrodes and electrolyte. When the electrodes react with the electrolyte, the chemical energy is converted into electrical energy.

3. Can a battery run out of energy?

Yes, a battery can run out of energy. As the chemical reaction between the electrodes and electrolyte continues, the materials used in the battery will eventually be depleted and the battery will no longer be able to produce electricity.

4. How long does a battery last?

The lifespan of a battery depends on a variety of factors, such as its size, chemistry, and usage. In general, disposable batteries tend to last for a few months to a few years, while rechargeable batteries can last for hundreds or even thousands of charge cycles.

5. How is the electricity in a battery converted to usable energy?

The electricity produced by a battery can be used to power various devices, such as flashlights or cell phones, through a circuit. This circuit allows the flow of electrons from the battery to power the device, and the device's components then convert the electrical energy into other forms of energy, such as light or sound.