Heat flux with oscillating heat sink

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of oscillation on heat transfer in a simple system consisting of a heat source, heat sink, and material. It is mentioned that without any treatments, heat is transferred by \frac{Q}{t}=\frac{\kappa A(T_{hot}-T_{cold})}{d}. The question is raised about the effect of vibrating the cold side, with some suggesting it could improve heat transfer while others mention potential drawbacks such as increased friction and change in surface area. The comparison is made to a fan blowing on the heat sink, which can improve heat transfer through increased heat dispersion. It is concluded that higher frequency oscillation could potentially improve heat transfer similar to a higher RPM fan.
tempneff
I am curious about the effects of oscillation in a heat transfer system. For example consider a simple system consisting of a heat source, a heat sink, and some generic material through which we will flow heat.

http://tempneff.com/Hflux.png

If we stack them all together, without thermal grease or other treatments, then they should transfer heat by [itex]\frac{Q}{t}=\frac{\kappa A(T_{hot}-T_{cold})}{d}[/itex]

where Q= heat transferred, t=time, [itex]\kappa[/itex] = thermal conductivity of barrier, A = area, T= temp, and d=thickness of barrier. Right?

What would be the effect if I were to vibrate the cold side? Instinctively I thought it would interrupt heat flow decreasing Q/t, but I am reading (unless I misunderstand) that sometimes heat transfer is improved by oscillation.

Any thought?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If i understand you correctly, I think the logic is similar to having a fan blowing to the heatsink on the other end, decreases Q/t because it increases heat dispersion thus improves natural convection on the outer surface, therefore improve Heat flux to surrounding.

Likes 1 person
I'll buy that. I still wonder about the magnitude of effect from other dynamics. At high frequency would the friction created have a noticeable effect on the net flux? What about the change in surface area when part of the cold block is shifted off of the 'material'?

Higher frequency means more oscillation, so its similar to a higher RPM fan which gives better cooling measure..

Likes 1 person

I can provide some insight into the concept of heat flux with an oscillating heat sink. First, let's define heat flux as the rate of heat transfer per unit area. In the example given, the heat source and heat sink are connected by a material with a certain thermal conductivity, and the heat flux is determined by the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides.

When the cold side is oscillated, it can have both positive and negative effects on heat transfer. On one hand, the oscillation can disrupt the boundary layer of the material, allowing for more efficient heat transfer. This is known as "forced convection" and is commonly used in cooling systems for electronic devices.

On the other hand, if the oscillation frequency is too high, it can create a layer of stagnant air on the cold side, which can act as an insulator and decrease heat transfer. This is known as "thermal resistance" and can be detrimental to heat transfer.

In order to fully understand the effects of oscillation on heat transfer, it is important to consider the specific conditions of the system, such as the material properties, oscillation frequency, and temperature difference. Conducting experiments and simulations can help determine the optimal conditions for heat transfer in an oscillating heat sink system.

In summary, oscillation can have both positive and negative effects on heat transfer, and it is important to carefully consider the specific conditions in order to optimize heat flux in a system.

1. What is heat flux with oscillating heat sink?

Heat flux with oscillating heat sink is a method of heat transfer that involves using a heat sink that oscillates or moves back and forth in order to enhance heat dissipation. This technique is commonly used in the cooling of electronic devices and other systems that generate a lot of heat.

2. How does heat flux with oscillating heat sink work?

Heat flux with oscillating heat sink works by using the oscillation of the heat sink to create a pulsating flow of air or liquid, which helps to increase the heat transfer rate. This pulsating flow also breaks up the boundary layer, allowing for better heat dissipation. The oscillation can be achieved through various mechanisms such as piezoelectric actuators or magnetic forces.

3. What are the advantages of using heat flux with oscillating heat sink?

The main advantage of heat flux with oscillating heat sink is its ability to significantly increase the heat transfer rate. This can result in better cooling performance and improved efficiency of electronic devices. Additionally, this method can also reduce the size and weight of heat sinks, making it a more compact and lightweight solution for heat dissipation.

4. Are there any limitations to using heat flux with oscillating heat sink?

One limitation of heat flux with oscillating heat sink is that it requires additional components and mechanisms, which can add to the cost and complexity of the system. It may also be more susceptible to mechanical failures due to the moving parts. Additionally, the effectiveness of this method may be limited in certain applications where space is limited or the heat sink cannot be easily oscillated.

5. How is heat flux with oscillating heat sink different from traditional heat sink designs?

Traditional heat sink designs rely on convection and conduction to dissipate heat, while heat flux with oscillating heat sink adds an additional mechanism of heat transfer through the oscillation of the heat sink. This can result in a more efficient and effective cooling process, particularly for high heat load applications. However, traditional heat sinks may still be more suitable for certain situations, such as when space is limited or when cost is a major factor.