Going to school for chemical engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing engineering in college and their top choices for universities with strong engineering departments. They also mention their goal of doing research and their concerns about the affordability of certain universities. They ask for feedback and advice on their choices and goals.
Ritzycat
Hello friends. I am an incoming high school senior this year, and of course, the college application process is just around the corner. Despite my harsh troubles with Honors Chemistry last year, it was my favorite class. I am naturally a math & science oriented person, so I know this is the "line of work" I want to pursue. I understand in college, one changes their major on average 2-4 times. I however, am most interested in engineering at this point, so universities that have strong engineering departments are going to be at the top of my list. I may opt for another engineering field because it is to my understanding that most colleges offer a "general" engineering freshman year, giving me a taste of all the different disciplines so I can get an idea of them all before I specialize.

Nonetheless, the availability of chemical engineering is spearheading my search because as of now that is the most interesting field to me. I may one day decide to pursue a PhD but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

As a Missouri resident I am considering MOS&T. They have lots of engineering options, and an interesting biochemical specialization in their chemical engineering major. I am also applying to WashU, SLU, Tulane, Rochester, USC, Vanderbilt, University of Alabama (I am eligible for automatic full tuition scholarship here, +2.5k/yr for eng. majors), and Rice. Although many of these seem like expensive privates, running the net price calculators on their websites showed we would have to pay a fraction of the cost. WashU, USC, Vanderbilt, and Rice are very likely to reject me. (3.67 GPA & 32 ACT, 33 superscore). Rochester I have a better shot at. Tulane, SLU, UA, & MOS&T are almost guaranteed acceptances, however the former may not be affordable unless I receive a substantial merit scholarship.

I am likely going to attend the cheapest of the options, for the sake of simply reducing the amount of student loans & saving money for grad school (I am aware that engineering PhD candidates usually get a stipend and their tuition funded through research/teaching assistanceships, is this notion true?).

My end goal is to do research. That is what drives me most. It does not appeal to me to work in process development or working with oil, alternative energies, agricultural industries etc.

My questions are: have I thought this through reasonably? Am I looking too far ahead? Am I applying to universities that can help me reach my goals? Is my goal REASONABLE - that's my biggest dilemma.

Any answers from people who have been through this process or know a bit about it are greatly appreciated :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is chemical engineering?

Chemical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and operation of processes and equipment used to produce a variety of products such as fuels, medicines, and food. It involves the application of chemistry, physics, and mathematics to solve problems and optimize processes.

2. What do chemical engineers do?

Chemical engineers work in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, energy, and materials. They use their knowledge of chemistry, physics, and engineering principles to design and improve processes, develop new products, and ensure the safety and efficiency of production. They also conduct research, analyze data, and troubleshoot issues that arise in production.

3. What skills are needed to become a chemical engineer?

Chemical engineers need a strong foundation in math, chemistry, and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They must also have good communication and teamwork skills, as they often work in multidisciplinary teams. Proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software and knowledge of industry-specific regulations and safety standards are also important.

4. What are the job prospects for chemical engineers?

The job prospects for chemical engineers are generally favorable. With a growing demand for products in various industries, there is a constant need for chemical engineers to design and optimize production processes. Additionally, advancements in technology and research may open up new opportunities for chemical engineers in emerging fields.

5. What are some common courses in a chemical engineering program?

Chemical engineering programs typically include courses in chemistry, physics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and process design. Other common courses include material science, chemical reaction engineering, and process control. In addition to these technical courses, students may also take courses in economics, ethics, and project management to prepare them for the business aspect of their career.