Percent uncertainty for noobs (like me)

In summary, the conversation is about a question on determining the percent uncertainty of the number 1.56 in a physics practice question. The speaker is unsure of how to calculate the uncertainty and asks for clarification. They also mention using 3 significant figures and their attempts at solving the problem. They are also advised to use a template and show their work.
Sin0
I KNOW this is going to be a very basic question for most of you but I am new to PF which seems awesome by the way and generally new too physics too. My question that my teacher went over on the practice questions for home was determine the percent uncertainty of the number 1.56.

I know from working with this before and my few but awful attempts to solve this and look up a way how to do it but since we are using 3 significant figures would I use 0.01 as my uncertain value divide it by 1.56 and multiply it by 100. I tried this and I was wrong and i can't seem to find out why if you could tell me how to go about this question and what number I would use as my uncertain value and why that would be great :)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are supposed to use 0.005 as the uncertainty, but really, your answer is somewhat reasonable.

Your post should/could be deleted. This is a homework question, please repost this in the Intro Physics forum. Please use the template and SHOW your work.

Thank you,
Integral

1. What is percent uncertainty?

Percent uncertainty is a measure of the amount of error or uncertainty in a measurement. It is typically expressed as a percentage and is used to indicate the accuracy of a measurement.

2. How is percent uncertainty calculated?

Percent uncertainty is calculated by taking the absolute uncertainty (the margin of error) and dividing it by the measured value, then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. The formula is: (absolute uncertainty / measured value) x 100.

3. Why is percent uncertainty important?

Percent uncertainty is important because it helps us understand the reliability of a measurement. A higher percent uncertainty means there is more potential for error, while a lower percent uncertainty indicates a more accurate measurement.

4. How can I reduce percent uncertainty in my measurements?

To reduce percent uncertainty, it is important to use precise measurement tools and techniques, and to take multiple measurements to account for any potential errors. Proper calibration of equipment can also help reduce uncertainty.

5. What is the difference between percent uncertainty and percent error?

Percent uncertainty measures the amount of error or uncertainty in a measurement, while percent error represents the difference between the measured value and the accepted or expected value. Percent error is used to evaluate the accuracy of a measurement, while percent uncertainty indicates the reliability of the measurement.