Runge-Kutta or Runge-Kutter?

In summary, there seems to be some confusion around the use of "Runge-Kutter" as it may be a typo or a separate method from "Runge-Kutta". There are also other variations such as "Runga Kutter" and "Runge Cutter" that can be found in references. Additionally, there are various pronunciation errors that can also contribute to the confusion, such as "delter" and "epserlon" for delta and epsilon, and "os-kil-a-tion" and "hoe sh*t" for oscillation and whole sheet.
Choppy
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I'm familiar with the Runge-Kutta methods for solving ODEs, but recently I've come across a reference to "Runge-Kutter", in which it appears to be used synonamously (unfortunately it's just a reference, the method is not stated explicitly). Is this a common typo, or is there a separate Runge Kutter method?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Typo. You can also find references on Runga Kutta methods, Runga Kutter methods, Runge Cutter methods. Engineers can be idiots.

D H said:
Typo. You can also find references on Runga Kutta methods, Runga Kutter methods, Runge Cutter methods. Engineers can be idiots.

Only to be surpassed by Homework Helpers who can't keep foot from mouth.

Depends on whether you are from Boston! I had a professor for Calculus I who always referred to "delter" and "epserlon".

HallsofIvy said:
Depends on whether you are from Boston! I had a professor for Calculus I who always referred to "delter" and "epserlon".

My favories are "os-kil-a-tion" (for oscillation) from a calc prof and and "hoe sh*t" (whole sheet) from a Chinese physics prof. I lost a week or two figuring that one out.

Phrak said:
My favories are "os-kil-a-tion" (for oscillation) from a calc prof and and "hoe sh*t" (whole sheet) from a Chinese physics prof. I lost a week or two figuring that one out.

Are you sure the first prof wasn't saying "os-kul-a-tion"? That means a kiss, as in when one curve intersects another at just a single point.

1. What is Runge-Kutta/Runge-Kutter?

Runge-Kutta (also known as Runge-Kutter) is a numerical method used for solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It is a type of iterative algorithm that approximates the solution to an ODE by breaking it down into smaller steps.

2. What is the history of Runge-Kutta/Runge-Kutter?

Runge-Kutta was first introduced by German mathematicians Carl Runge and Martin Kutta in 1901. Since then, it has been modified and improved upon by various mathematicians and engineers, making it one of the most widely used numerical methods for solving ODEs.

3. How does Runge-Kutta/Runge-Kutter work?

Runge-Kutta works by breaking down the ODE into smaller steps and using these steps to approximate the solution. It is an iterative method, meaning that it uses the previous approximation to calculate the next one. This process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

4. What are the advantages of using Runge-Kutta/Runge-Kutter?

There are several advantages to using the Runge-Kutta method. It is a very accurate method, especially when compared to other numerical methods. It is also easy to implement and is very versatile, meaning it can be used to solve a wide range of ODEs.

5. Are there any limitations to Runge-Kutta/Runge-Kutter?

While Runge-Kutta is a powerful and widely used method, it does have some limitations. It can be computationally expensive, especially for higher-order ODEs. It also requires a good initial approximation in order to achieve accurate results.