Finding the maximum power delivered from a baterry

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a battery, emf, and internal resistance connected to a variable load resistance R. The goal is to determine the resistance that will deliver the maximum power to the load. The solution involves differentiating the power equation and setting it equal to zero. However, the conversation also mentions that the current I depends on R, making it simpler to use P = R I^2 with I = emf/(R+r). KVL is also mentioned, stating that the sum of voltages around a closed loop must equal zero. This leads to the conclusion that I = ε/(r+R).
pentazoid

Homework Statement

A battery of emf [insert symbol for emf here] and internal resistance is hooked up to a variable "load" resistance R. If you want to deliever the maximum possible power to the load, what resistance should you choose?(You can't change the emf and r, of course).

Homework Equations

P=I^2*R=V^2/R
Possibly V=[insert symbol for emf here]-Ir

The Attempt at a Solution

I think what I should do is differentiate the Power with respect to the variable load R and sint dP/dR =0

P=V^2/R=([insert symbol for emf here]-Ir)^2/R

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi pentazoid! :wink:

(what's "sint"? :confused:)
pentazoid said:
I think what I should do is differentiate the Power with respect to the variable load R and sint dP/dR =0

Looks good! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi pentazoid! :wink:

(what's "sint"? :confused:)

sorry , I meant to say since.
Looks good! :smile:

seriously?

pentazoid said:

Homework Statement

A battery of emf [insert symbol for emf here] and internal resistance is hooked up to a variable "load" resistance R. If you want to deliever the maximum possible power to the load, what resistance should you choose?(You can't change the emf and r, of course).

Homework Equations

P=I^2*R=V^2/R
Possibly V=[insert symbol for emf here]-Ir

The Attempt at a Solution

This is correct but the current I depends on R as well so this not yet in a useful form.

I think it's simpler to use [tex] P = R I^2 [/tex] with [tex] I = {\cal E} /(R+r) [/tex]. Now differentiate wrt R, set to zero and solve for R.

nrqed said:
This is correct but the current I depends on R as well so this not yet in a useful form.

I think it's simpler to use [tex] P = R I^2 [/tex] with [tex] I = {\cal E} /(R+r) [/tex]. Now differentiate wrt R, set to zero and solve for R.

I'm trying to solve this problem but I'm having a hard time figuring out why I = (emf)/(r+R). Isn't V = emf when the conductivity is infinite? How is it infinite (or very big) in this case if the resistance is r.

Marioqwe said:
I'm trying to solve this problem but I'm having a hard time figuring out why I = (emf)/(r+R). Isn't V = emf when the conductivity is infinite?

To be honest, I don't know what you're talking about.

Kirchoff's voltage law (KVL) says that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit has to equal zero (this is just the conservation of energy, when you think about it). In other words, the voltage drop across the two resistors has to be equal to the voltage across the battery terminals (which is just the emf). Everything is in series, so current through the circuit is the total voltage over the total resistance, hence I = ε/(r+R).

What is the maximum power delivered from a battery?

The maximum power delivered from a battery refers to the highest amount of electrical power that can be drawn from the battery at a given moment. It is dependent on the battery's capacity and the current flow rate.

How is the maximum power of a battery calculated?

The maximum power of a battery can be calculated by multiplying the battery's voltage by the current flowing through it. This is known as the power formula (P=VI).

What factors affect the maximum power delivered from a battery?

The maximum power delivered from a battery can be affected by several factors, including the battery's internal resistance, temperature, and age. High internal resistance can limit the flow of current and reduce the maximum power that can be drawn from the battery.

Why is it important to know the maximum power of a battery?

Knowing the maximum power of a battery is important for understanding its capabilities and limitations. It can help determine the battery's suitability for specific applications and ensure that it is not being overdrawn, which can lead to damage.

Can the maximum power of a battery be increased?

The maximum power of a battery is limited by its internal components and cannot be increased beyond its maximum capacity. However, using multiple batteries in parallel can increase the overall power output.