Help deriving integer sequence formula

In summary, the conversation discusses an integer sequence representing the maximum number of partitions with specific properties, and the relationship of this sequence with the Fibonacci and Lucas series. The conversation also mentions the use of a brute force algorithm and the limitations encountered. A request is made for someone to find the formula for the sequence. The variable "width" is not clearly defined.
ktoz
Hi

I'm playing around with partitions and have come up with an integer sequence representing the maximum number of partitions of various "widths" that display the following properties:

- min values in partition are equal
- max values in partition are equal
- partitions contain equal number of members
- sum of members is equal

For example, given:

min = 1
max = 6
count = 4
sum = 14

There are only two partitions that satisfy the constraints

{1,3,4,6}
{1,2,5,6}

Using a brute force algorithm, I came up with the following maximums for width = {1, 2, 3, 4 ..., 24}

1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 20, 32, 58, 94, 169, 289, 526, 910, 1667, 2934, 5448, 9686, 18084

My algorithm breaks at 25 due to the huge memory trequirements needed to sample every possible combination. I plugged it into http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/" , but no luck.

With a little tweaking, the series seems like it might have some sort of partial relationship with the Fibonacci and Lucas series, but I haven't been able to come up with anything concrete.

Code:
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 20, 32, 58, 94, 169, 289, 526, 910
 ,  ,  ,  ,  ,  , 1, 2, 3, 5, 8,  13, 21, 34, 55,  89, 144, 233, 377 	(fib)
 --------------------------------------------------------------------
		  1, 1, 2, 3, 4,  7,  11, 24, 39,  86, 145, 293, 533	(partial lucas)
Anyone see the pattern? Or perhaps someone with Mathematica 7 could plug the series into the series calculator and come up with the formula?

Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ktoz said:
Hi

I'm playing around with partitions and have come up with an integer sequence representing the maximum number of partitions of various "widths" that display the following properties:

- min values in partition are equal
- max values in partition are equal
- partitions contain equal number of members
- sum of members is equal

For example, given:

min = 1
max = 6
count = 4
sum = 14

There are only two partitions that satisfy the constraints

{1,3,4,6}
{1,2,5,6}

Using a brute force algorithm, I came up with the following maximums for width = {1, 2, 3, 4 ..., 24}

1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 20, 32, 58, 94, 169, 289, 526, 910, 1667, 2934, 5448, 9686, 18084

My algorithm breaks at 25 due to the huge memory trequirements needed to sample every possible combination. I plugged it into http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/" , but no luck.

With a little tweaking, the series seems like it might have some sort of partial relationship with the Fibonacci and Lucas series, but I haven't been able to come up with anything concrete.

Code:
1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 5, 8, 12, 20, 32, 58, 94, 169, 289, 526, 910
 ,  ,  ,  ,  ,  , 1, 2, 3, 5, 8,  13, 21, 34, 55,  89, 144, 233, 377 	(fib)
 --------------------------------------------------------------------
		  1, 1, 2, 3, 4,  7,  11, 24, 39,  86, 145, 293, 533	(partial lucas)
Anyone see the pattern? Or perhaps someone with Mathematica 7 could plug the series into the series calculator and come up with the formula?

Thanks for any help

Could you define "width"? You give 4 variables for widths but you give a sequence for widths = [1,2,3,...} so I don't understand what you mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an integer sequence?

An integer sequence is a list of numbers, where each number is an integer, and the order of the numbers matters. For example, the sequence 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 is an integer sequence where each number is even and the difference between consecutive numbers is 2.

Why is deriving an integer sequence formula important?

Deriving an integer sequence formula allows us to understand the underlying pattern and relationship between the numbers in the sequence. This can help us predict future numbers in the sequence and also generalize the sequence to other situations.

What are the steps for deriving an integer sequence formula?

The first step is to examine the given sequence and look for any patterns or relationships between the numbers. Next, you can create a table or graph to help visualize the pattern. Then, use algebraic equations or operations to express the pattern in a general form. Finally, simplify the equation to find the formula for the sequence.

What are some common techniques for deriving an integer sequence formula?

Some common techniques include looking for arithmetic or geometric progressions, using differences or ratios between consecutive numbers, and using known formulas or mathematical concepts such as factorials or exponents.

Can a computer or algorithm be used to derive an integer sequence formula?

Yes, computers and algorithms can be used to derive integer sequence formulas. There are various mathematical software and programming languages that have built-in functions for finding patterns and generating formulas for integer sequences. However, it is still important for a scientist to understand the underlying concepts and techniques used in deriving these formulas.