CDP of a function of a continuous RV

In summary: Instead of using x, they used y as the dummy variable. So it looks different, but the process is the same. They just used a different notation.
IniquiTrance
REVISED: Expectation of a function of a continuous RV

Given:

[tex]f_{X}(x)=1[/tex]

[tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]

and 0 everywhere else.

We are asked to find E[eX]

The way my book does it is as follows:
page 191 in A First Course in Probability 8th ed by Sheldon Ross said:
[tex]Y = e^{X}[/tex]

[tex]F_{Y}(x) = P(X\leq Ln (x)) = \int_{0}^{ln x} f_{Y}(y) dy = ln (x)[/tex]

[tex]f_{Y}(x) = \frac{d}{dx} \left[ln (x)\right]=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

[tex]1 \leq x \leq e[/tex]

[tex] E[e^{X}] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x f_{Y}(x) dx = \int_{1}^{e} dx = e - 1[/tex]

I understand how to do it as follows. I don't understand the author's way of doing it.

[tex]Y = e^{X}[/tex]

[tex]0 \leq x \leq 1[/tex]

[tex]1 \leq y \leq e[/tex]

[tex]F_{Y}(y) = P(X\leq Ln (y)) = \int_{0}^{ln y} f_{X}(x) dx = \int_{0}^{ln y} dx = ln (y)[/tex]

[tex]f_{Y}(y) = \frac{d}{dy} \left[ln (y)\right]=\frac{1}{y}[/tex]

[tex] E[e^{X}] = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} y f_{Y}(y) dy = \int_{1}^{e} dy = e - 1[/tex]

Can someone please explain to me why the author does it his way instead of mine?

I know I can make life easier by just taking:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}g(x)f(x) dx [/tex]

but I want to understand what's going on here.

Any help is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas? Sorry to bump, just redid the whole post, so it's essentially a new question :).

A general rule if you're given [tex]f_{X}(x)[/tex] to calculate [tex]E[g(X)][/tex] is:

[tex]
E[g(X)] = \int{g(x) \, f_{X}(x) \, dx}
[/tex]

Dickfore said:
A general rule if you're given [tex]f_{X}(x)[/tex] to calculate [tex]E[g(X)][/tex] is:

[tex]
E[g(X)] = \int{g(x) \, f_{X}(x) \, dx}
[/tex]

Yeah, I noted that I'm aware of that at the bottom of my post. :smile:

I just want to understand why the book does it this way.

IniquiTrance said:
Yeah, I noted that I'm aware of that at the bottom of my post. :smile:

I just want to understand why the book does it this way.

I think the book did it the same way as you, but used a different dummy variable in the last integral.

1. What is the definition of CDP of a function of a continuous RV?

The CDP of a function of a continuous RV (random variable) is the probability distribution of the function of the RV. It describes the probability of different outcomes of the function given different values of the RV. It is also known as the probability distribution of a transformed RV.

2. How is the CDP of a function of a continuous RV calculated?

The CDP of a function of a continuous RV can be calculated by first determining the probability distribution of the original RV, then applying the function to each value of the RV and calculating the corresponding probabilities. The resulting probabilities make up the CDP of the function.

3. What is the significance of CDP of a function of a continuous RV in statistics?

The CDP of a function of a continuous RV is important in statistics because it allows us to understand the relationship between two random variables. It also helps in making predictions about the outcomes of a function based on the probability distribution of the original RV.

4. How does the CDP of a function of a continuous RV differ from the CDF of a continuous RV?

The CDP of a function of a continuous RV and the CDF (cumulative distribution function) of a continuous RV are both probability distributions, but they differ in the type of random variable they represent. While the CDP represents the function of a continuous RV, the CDF represents the probability of the RV taking on a specific value or less.

5. Can the CDP of a function of a continuous RV be used to find the expected value of the function?

Yes, the expected value of a function of a continuous RV can be calculated using the CDP. The expected value is the sum of all possible outcomes of the function multiplied by their corresponding probabilities. This can be calculated using the formula E[g(X)] = ∫g(x)f(x)dx, where g(x) is the function and f(x) is the probability density function of the original RV.