Need to get a bit more fuel for the furnace.

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Fuel
In summary, Turbo primarily uses wood to heat his home, but he is open to using other forms of heating in the future. His uncle is an HVAC guy, and he has encouraged him to replace the old oil in his heating tank with fresh fuel to minimize usage.
turbo
Gold Member
Well, we really don't need to, but it's nice to have around in case a family emergency requires us to be away from home a bit in the winter. When we bought this place 6 years ago, we bought a tank-full of #2 heating oil. I have supplanted that with 911 fuel-stabilizer a couple of times, and finally we are getting to the bottom of that tank. I ordered 100 gallons of oil today, and the woman at the fuel-supplier was asking some questions about usage. It's hard to explain to somebody in that business that you use very little oil, and a single tank of oil has already lasted 6 years... My youngest uncle is an HVAC guy, and he has encouraged me to run down the old oil and try to keep a minimal supply of fresh oil in the tank.

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo said:
Well, we really don't need to, but it's nice to have around in case a family emergency requires us to be away from home a bit in the winter. When we bought this place 6 years ago, we bought a tank-full of #2 heating oil. I have supplanted that with 911 fuel-stabilizer a couple of times, and finally we are getting to the bottom of that tank. I ordered 100 gallons of oil today, and the woman at the fuel-supplier was asking some questions about usage. It's hard to explain to somebody in that business that you use very little oil, and a single tank of oil has already lasted 6 years... My youngest uncle is an HVAC guy, and he has encouraged me to run down the old oil and try to keep a minimal supply of fresh oil in the tank.
What about wood? Do you have any fireplaces?

ThomasT said:
What about wood? Do you have any fireplaces?

I would guess that's why he doesn't burn much oil...

... in Maine!

(Woodstove, dude; woodstove)

While on the topic of woodstoves and oil furnaces; we have burned less oil this winter than ever, thanks to an abundant wood pile, and a broken furnace. I've "fixed" it 3 times now, but the spark igniter keeps failing. Gap adjusted over and over, induction coil appears to work, all connections good...

Looks like I'm going to have to call in a perfeshunal who's going to tell me my tank needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:

... in Maine!

Well, ok, but he didn't mention anything about having a fireplace or woodstove. He's talking about maybe not having enough oil for the furnace.

My solution is to go primarily woodburning. But then I'm partial to fireplaces. Really like them. Plenty of wood in Maine, and if I recall a picture of turbo's place, plenty of 'free' wood for a long time.

Turbo primarily uses wood.

russ_watters said:
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Yep! Primarily wood. It's already seasoned a minimum of a year and half before it ever comes in the house to the wood-box, so it burns very cleanly.

We're on track to burn ~3 cords this winter if this pattern of warm weather keeps up. In past years, we have burned ~4-5 cords a season. The stove burns so cleanly, I have never had to clean my chimney. Any tar and creosote build-up just flakes off with the heat of the next fire. About once a year, I go down cellar, open the clean-out door and scoop out a small pail-full of of black scale, then look up the chimney with a mirror. Clean as a whistle, with every tile and mortar-joint visible.

ThomasT said:
My solution is to go primarily woodburning. But then I'm partial to fireplaces. Really like them. Plenty of wood in Maine, and if I recall a picture of turbo's place, plenty of 'free' wood for a long time.
I have ~10 acres of mostly hardwood, but I'm reluctant to tear up the property skidding out firewood. It's 1/4 mile down to the stream in the middle of the property, and 1/4 mile up the other slope to the top of the valley, and there are spring-holes everywhere. Lots of water here, and I don't want to make nasty, muddy ruts and silt up the stream. For that reason, I buy my firewood from my niece's husband. All good-quality wood, cut, split, and delivered for a very fair price. One great feature about living in Maine is that if the economy starts to go south, everybody with a chain saw and a truck can go into the firewood business, and that keeps prices competitive.

russ_watters said:

No, he burns Ghost Peppers instead... lol.

Rhody... :cry: :devil:

rhody said:
No, he burns Ghost Peppers instead... lol.

Rhody... :cry: :devil:
That's good heat for me, but it doesn't protect the pipes from freezing or keep the bedroom floor warm.

We used wood for about ten years but I finally got sick of messing with it. We have such cheap hydroelectric power that the savings with wood are not significant. I have two+ cords for emergencies, but allowed another six cords of old growth [diseased tree] to rot up on the hill.

I keep thinking about going with a geothermal heat-pump system.

Chi Meson said:

... in Maine!

While on the topic of woodstoves and oil furnaces; we have burned less oil this winter than ever, thanks to an abundant wood pile, and a broken furnace. I've "fixed" it 3 times now, but the spark igniter keeps failing. Gap adjusted over and over, induction coil appears to work, all connections good...

Looks like I'm going to have to call in a perfeshunal who's going to tell me my tank needs to be replaced.

What about your solar power?

Ivan Seeking said:
What about your solar power?
During the winter, my new PV panels are topping out at 2500 W; not quite enough to keep warm. Anyway, first priorities are with insulation. Burning too much wood is no better than burning too much oil; I've got "superinsulation" going on, so even though the wood stove dies out around 8 or 9 PM, the house temp stays above 60 until 6AM the next morning, so we really don't need the oil. WHen the temp in the main floor gets to about 73, I turn on the central fan to spread the heat around a bit.

Just sometimes, as you are aware, you just don't feel like messing with the wood, just for a day. Well, not an option right now. I'll get it fixed in the spring, when Oil guys aren't charging arms and legs for dropping by.

Why was it so hard to explain what you were using the oil for? I'm sure the lady on the phone would be able to understand unless she doesn't speak english or something? Seems to me you should just call them back up and hope for a guy to answer the phone this time.

:)

Containment said:
Why was it so hard to explain what you were using the oil for? I'm sure the lady on the phone would be able to understand unless she doesn't speak english or something? Seems to me you should just call them back up and hope for a guy to answer the phone this time.

:)
She works for a company that delivers #2 heating oil, kerosene, and propane. The mere thought that a potential customer might have bought their last tank of oil 6 years ago and was looking to buy maybe another 100 gallons was foreign to her. I have my wood-sheds, and as long as I can keep stacking and drying wood for winter fires, I'll keep avoiding the oil companies.

I do want to keep my hot-air furnace in working condition, and fueled with oil that is relatively clean. There are times and potential situations in which having a furnace back-up might be nice, if not critical. My health is not the best, and it could be really important to keep the house from freezing up if my wife and I are not here during a cold spell.

1. How much more fuel do I need to add to the furnace?

The amount of additional fuel needed for the furnace will depend on several factors, such as the size of the furnace, the type of fuel being used, and the current temperature of the furnace. It is best to consult the furnace's manual or a professional for an accurate answer.

2. Can I use any type of fuel for the furnace?

No, it is important to only use the type of fuel specified for your furnace. Using the wrong type of fuel can damage the furnace and potentially be dangerous. Always refer to the furnace's manual for the recommended fuel type.

3. How often should I refuel the furnace?

The frequency of refueling the furnace will depend on how often it is being used and the size of the furnace. It is recommended to check the fuel levels regularly and refill as needed to maintain consistent heat output.

4. Is it safe to add more fuel to a hot furnace?

No, it is not safe to add more fuel to a hot furnace. This can cause a sudden increase in temperature and potentially lead to a fire. It is best to wait for the furnace to cool down before adding more fuel.

5. What are the signs that the furnace needs more fuel?

The most obvious sign that the furnace needs more fuel is a decrease in heat output. Other signs may include unusual noises, a change in flame color, or a decrease in efficiency. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to add more fuel to the furnace.