Original problem with maxwell's that led to special relativity

In summary, Maxwell's wave theory of light proposed that light is a transverse electromagnetic wave and travels at a constant speed c, which is included in the Maxwell equations. However, experiments showed that the same laws of optics apply in every inertial reference system, raising the question of how Maxwell's theory can be valid in all reference frames. Einstein later addressed this problem in his theory of relativity.
idea2000
I've been searching through google and through various sources trying to find more details
about the original problem with maxwell's that eventually led to relativity. I'm not sure I understand the problem fully as most sources seem to only talk about it casually before moving on. Is it possible that someone could direct me to some other sources, or even better yet, provide a more detailed picture of what was going on? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The specific question that I have is why does maxwell's predict a constant speed of light regardless of reference frame?

Hi,

Maxwell's equations showed that (1) a changing magnetic field produces an electric field and (2) a changing electric field produces a magnetic field.

Combining these suggested the possibility that perhaps they could be combined in such a way as to co-operate with one another. That is, each could create and sustain the other. In effect, radiate away from a source.

Maxwell was convinced this could happen but the self-sustaining pattern would have to obey certain constraints. One of these was that the pattern of fields would have to travel through space at a speed precisely determined by the Maxwell equations.

When Maxwell was able to determine the value for c given by the constants used in his equations he found that it matched almost exactly to the (then) determined value for the speed of light.

The question then became "speed relative to what?"

idea2000 said:
I've been searching through google and through various sources trying to find more details about the original problem with maxwell's that eventually led to relativity. I'm not sure I understand the problem fully as most sources seem to only talk about it casually before moving on. Is it possible that someone could direct me to some other sources, or even better yet, provide a more detailed picture of what was going on? Thanks

The specific question that I have is why does maxwell's predict a constant speed of light regardless of reference frame?

You could first read the bottom of:

http://www.gap-system.org/~history/HistTopics/Light_1.html

In summary, Maxwell proposed a wave theory of light that models light as a transverse electromagnetic wave, or, as he put it: "light consists in the traverse undulations of the same medium which is the cause of electric and magnetic phenomena". The propagation speed was assumed to be a medium constant c, which is contained in the Maxwell equations*.

Maxwell and others thought that it should be possible to detect our speed relative to that medium, just as one should be able to detect for example the speed relative to air by experiments with sound. However, such experiments did not work. Instead it appeared that the same laws of optics are valid in every inertial reference system, and that was very puzzling. How can Maxwell's theory be valid relative to any inertial reference system?

Next you could read Einstein's summary of the problem here:

http://www.bartleby.com/173/5.html
http://www.bartleby.com/173/7.html

Harald

*Due to a change of unit system that is less obvious today; see for details the bottom of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_constant

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What was the original problem with Maxwell's equations that led to the development of special relativity?

The original problem with Maxwell's equations was that they predicted the existence of an absolute frame of reference, known as the "ether," through which electromagnetic waves were thought to propagate. This contradicted the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. How did Albert Einstein address this problem with his theory of special relativity?

Einstein proposed that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This meant that there was no need for an absolute frame of reference, as the laws of physics, including Maxwell's equations, would hold true for all observers.

3. Did Einstein's theory of special relativity disprove Maxwell's equations?

No, Einstein's theory did not disprove Maxwell's equations. Instead, it provided a more comprehensive understanding of their implications and resolved the conflict with the principle of relativity.

4. How did special relativity impact our understanding of space and time?

Special relativity introduced the concept of spacetime, in which space and time are not separate entities but are interconnected and are affected by the motion of objects. This theory also showed that time is not absolute and can be experienced differently by different observers depending on their relative motion.

5. What are some practical applications of special relativity?

Special relativity has led to advancements in technologies such as GPS, which relies on precise timing measurements that are affected by the relative motion of satellites and receivers on Earth. It also plays a crucial role in particle accelerators and nuclear energy, where the high speeds and energies involved require the use of relativistic equations.