Wigner's Theorem/Antiunitary Transformation

In summary, Gottfried and Yan state Wigner's Theorem on page 284, and they explain two cases. The first case is when the expansion coefficients are unary, and the second is when they are complex. However, Gottfried's reasoning is lacking precision, and he uses hand-waving arguments. Therefore, his conclusions should not be taken too seriously. However, when taking square leads to the original description, life is certainly easier.
thoughtgaze
So I'm reading Gottfried and Yan's Quantum Mechanics: Fundamentals. On page 284, They state Wigner's Theorem and explain the two cases. One transformation leads to no complex conjugation of the expansion coefficients (unitary) and the other leads to a complex conjugation of the expansion coefficients (antiunitary). Anyway, I'm confused when he states the following.

Applying an antiunitary operator twice results in a unitary operation, since the expansion coefficients are conjugated twice. Therefore the antiunitary operators cannot be represented as a continuous group because for any such operation (call it A) there exists the square root of that operation (A_(1/2)), which when applied twice gives an A and thus any A in the continuous group must be unitary for self-consistency.

The part I don't get:

He then goes on to say "by the same argument, candidates for an antiunitary transformation must be such that A^2 reproduces the original description"

I don't understand why it necessarily has to reproduce the original description. I only understand why it has to be a discrete transformation. Anyone care to shed some light?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that Gottfried's reasoning is lacking precision, using hand-waving arguments, fuzzy. Therefore I would not take too seriously his conclusions. But, when taking square leads to the original description, life is certainly easier. That is probably the only reason.

thoughtgaze said:
He then goes on to say "by the same argument, candidates for an antiunitary transformation must be such that A^2 reproduces the original description"

Whatever he means, it is not correct. Google "Kramers degeneracy" or read master Wigner himself:http://www.digizeitschriften.de/dms/img/?PPN=GDZPPN002509032
Also non-trivial representations of the group operations C P and T have been discussed.

Thank you so much guys, I've been very confused about this.

I think a non-trivial but interesting example are magnetic symmetry groups on a lattice.
Consider a regular lattice of magnetic moments pointing up and down alternantly. The inversion of the magnetic moment corresponds to time inversion (and obviously is anti-unitary) but is not a symmetry of the lattice. However a combination of a translation by the nearest moment distance (one unit) and time inversion is (and is anti-unitary). Repeating this operation is equal to a unitary transformation, namely the shift by two units which is certainly different from the identity.
See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_group#Magnetic_groups_and_time_reversal

1. What is Wigner's Theorem?

Wigner's Theorem is a fundamental result in quantum mechanics that states that any symmetry transformation in a quantum system can be represented by either a unitary or an antiunitary operator. It also proves that any two quantum states related by a symmetry transformation have the same energy.

2. What is an antiunitary transformation?

An antiunitary transformation is a mathematical operation that reverses the order of multiplication and complex conjugation. In quantum mechanics, it is used to describe symmetries that involve time reversal or particle-antiparticle transformations.

3. How does Wigner's Theorem relate to quantum mechanics?

Wigner's Theorem is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics as it shows that symmetries play a crucial role in describing the behavior of quantum systems. It also provides a mathematical framework for understanding the underlying connections between physical symmetries and the laws of quantum mechanics.

4. What are some applications of Wigner's Theorem?

Wigner's Theorem has many practical applications in quantum mechanics, including the study of spin systems, quantum information theory, and the description of fundamental particles and their interactions. It is also used in the development of quantum computing and quantum cryptography technologies.

5. Is Wigner's Theorem well-supported by experimental evidence?

Yes, Wigner's Theorem has been extensively tested and verified through various experiments in quantum mechanics. The predictions made by the theorem have been observed in numerous systems, providing strong evidence for its validity.