Does Software Exist for Symbolic Plotting with Custom Axis Labels?

• Thread starter gibxam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plotting
In summary, there is currently no software that can automatically plot a function symbolically and account for all variables and parameters. It would require a lot of time and work to get the mathematics and graphics to be exactly what the user wants. It would also become increasingly complex with each new parameter added.
gibxam
Hello everyone,

I've been in university for about 3 years now and the tool I want more than anything is something that can make plots symbolically. What I mean is if for example i have the following function:

f[x]=ln[[itex]\frac{x}{β}[/itex]]

I want a plot that will know to plot a function that is just like the ln[x] except that when x=β the plot will go through the x-axis. Meaning the program if it exists will know to have the x-axis with a tick mark labeled β.

this would be super useful for me because up until this point I have been using mathematica and just make all my constants 1 and then change them around, which works fine but it would look so cool to have a qualitative graph that I could look at also. Does this exist anywhere? Also no big deal if it doesn't but then does anyone have any cool tips with Mathematica or some other software to make their plots quick and easy with?

thanks

max

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is difficult for me to think how this would be done in general.

Imagine you are that software for a moment and I tell you I want a plot of
y=a*x+b
or
y=a*x^2+b*x+c
or many more complicated functions
and I want you to give me back exactly the plot I am imagining.

How could you do that?

Yes I suppose that you can substitute 1 for all coefficients, if that makes the plot that you want. Then why not just substitute 1 for all the coefficients and plot it?

As a general estimate I expect that it will take about as much time and work to get the mathematics approximately right as it will take to get the graphics approximately right. And it will take between two and ten times longer to get each of those very close to what I want. If you are sort of tossing out the mathematics part and just looking at the graphics part then I wouldn't be surprised if you still have a substantial amount of time and work to get something that looks the way you want. Computer math software has just not yet implemented the "do what I want" button.

The second reason it would not work, extending what was written above, is that every new parameter adds another dimension to the model. Under your system, even a linear equation defines a three dimensional surface in four dimensional space.

gibxam said:
Hello everyone,

I've been in university for about 3 years now and the tool I want more than anything is something that can make plots symbolically. What I mean is if for example i have the following function:

f[x]=ln[[itex]\frac{x}{β}[/itex]]

I want a plot that will know to plot a function that is just like the ln[x] except that when x=β the plot will go through the x-axis. Meaning the program if it exists will know to have the x-axis with a tick mark labeled β.

this would be super useful for me because up until this point I have been using mathematica and just make all my constants 1 and then change them around, which works fine but it would look so cool to have a qualitative graph that I could look at also. Does this exist anywhere? Also no big deal if it doesn't but then does anyone have any cool tips with Mathematica or some other software to make their plots quick and easy with?

thanks

max

Hey max.

If you are interested solely on how β affects your function, it would be better to just plot an output function as a function of β and x and then view it 3D and rotate, translate, and scale the function using a standard software package.

I understand the importance of being able to plot functions symbolically. It not only helps with visualizing the behavior of the function, but can also aid in finding key points and understanding the overall trend.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any specific software that can plot functions symbolically with the added feature of labeling the x-axis with a specific value. However, there are some tips and tricks that can make plotting in Mathematica, or any other software, quicker and easier.

First, familiarize yourself with the built-in functions and commands for plotting in your chosen software. This will help you make the most of the available tools and options.

Second, utilize the power of programming in your plots. Instead of manually changing constants, you can use variables and manipulate them to see how it affects the plot. This can save time and effort in the long run.

Lastly, don't be afraid to explore and experiment with different options and styles for your plots. This can help you find the best representation for your data and make your plots more visually appealing.

I hope these tips are helpful and I wish you success in your plotting endeavors. Keep exploring and pushing the boundaries of your chosen software to create informative and visually appealing plots.

1. What is symbolic plotting?

Symbolic plotting is a technique used in science and mathematics to graphically represent mathematical equations or functions. It is a visual representation of the relationship between variables in an equation.

2. How is symbolic plotting helpful in scientific research?

Symbolic plotting can help scientists visualize complex equations and identify patterns or relationships between variables. It can also aid in data analysis and interpretation, making it a valuable tool for scientific research.

3. What software or tools are commonly used for symbolic plotting?

There are several software and tools available for symbolic plotting, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, Maple, and Python libraries like matplotlib and SymPy. These programs offer a variety of features and customization options for creating high-quality symbolic plots.

4. Can symbolic plotting be used for any type of data?

Symbolic plotting is most commonly used for mathematical equations and functions. However, it can also be used for plotting data from experiments or observations, as long as the data can be represented by a mathematical equation or function.

5. Are there any limitations to symbolic plotting?

Symbolic plotting has some limitations, such as the inability to plot non-mathematical data and the complexity of creating plots for very large or complex equations. It also requires some knowledge of mathematical functions and equations to effectively use the software and interpret the resulting plots.