Flocculation based water purification.

• Thread starter PraAnan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of different flocculants for water purification, particularly in the context of disaster response. The question is raised about whether aluminium or ferric sulfate is a better flocculant, with the latter potentially having the advantage of also lowering heavy metal levels. The use of chlorine dioxide as a disinfectant is also mentioned. There is also a discussion about the best chemical to use in terms of safety, weight, and portability, as well as the potential need for additives to enhance the effectiveness of a flocculant. The conversation ends with a request for further information on the topic.
PraAnan
Which is a better flocculant for water purification, aluminium or ferric sulfate? (I feel the latter might have the advantage because it also seems to lower heavy metal levels but I'm not 100% about this)

For the disinfectant part would chlorine dioxide be effective?

Would the flocculant be enough or would you need things like precipitates and coagulants to help it do a better job?To any moderators: Initially I didn't see the chemistry section on this forum so if you think that this thread is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm really glad someone posted this question. My area of interest is actually in disaster response water purification and I'd love to know the answer too. In terms of safety/weight/portability etc, what is the best chemical to use? My company (AidGear) is hoping to build a mobile floc unit for use in disaster response and so I'm always interested in following these issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought that I would give this thread a bump as I would still like to know.

Thread moved, on request.

Last bump.

The two things that I would really like to know is if a flocculant is effective by itself or if it needs additives (like the ones mentioned in the first post) to make it work best and if ferric sulfate (or any other compound or mixture for that matter) can remove heavy metals.

1. What is flocculation based water purification?

Flocculation based water purification is a process in which chemicals, known as flocculants, are added to water to cause small particles to clump together and form larger particles called flocs. These flocs can then be easily removed from the water through filtration or settling.

2. How does flocculation work?

Flocculation works by neutralizing the charges on small particles in water, causing them to come together and form larger particles. This process is typically achieved by adding positively charged flocculants, such as aluminum or iron salts, to the water. As the particles clump together, they become heavier and can be more easily removed from the water.

3. What are the benefits of using flocculation for water purification?

There are several benefits to using flocculation for water purification. It is a relatively simple and cost-effective process, making it a popular choice for large-scale water treatment facilities. Flocculation can also effectively remove a wide range of contaminants, including organic matter, heavy metals, and bacteria, from water.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using flocculation for water purification?

While flocculation is generally a safe and effective method for water purification, there are a few potential drawbacks to consider. Depending on the type of flocculant used, there may be concerns about the presence of residual chemicals in the treated water. Additionally, if not properly managed, flocculation can create large amounts of sludge that must be disposed of properly.

5. Is flocculation the only step in the water purification process?

No, flocculation is just one step in the water purification process. After flocculation, the water must go through a filtration step to remove the flocs. It may also go through additional treatment processes, such as disinfection, to ensure that all contaminants have been removed before the water is safe for consumption.