Register to reply

Rotation of PPL by opticaly active compounds (mathematical feeling)

Share this thread:
namanjain
May6-14, 12:40 AM
P: 69
i read formulae in textbook :

[α]λtC = Θ/L*C ........(i)

where Θ is rotation in light
and L is length of tube
and C is concentration in gm/litre

if we consider tube of lenth L and cross section area 'A'
then C= M/A*L
M is mass of sample

so (i) becomes

[α]λtC = Θ/[M/A]

so are scientist so blind to observe or i am doing something wrong.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Seeing is bead-lieving: Scientists create model 'bead-spring' chains with tunable properties
New molecule puts scientists a step closer to understanding hydrogen storage
UltrafastPED
May6-14, 01:01 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,908
This appears to be a variation on Verdet's equation for measuring the concentration of an optically active substance, allowing for temperature variations.

You have neatly removed the variable for concentration.
DrDu
May6-14, 01:17 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,562
To blind to observe what?
Your formula is correct, however, I doubt that it is more practical. The point is that you would have to fill the sample of the given mass in a tube which has precisely the cross section you sprecified. Have you tried to fill a tube with precisely the amount of substance you want and to put glass windows on it without neither liquid spilling out or gas bubbles remaining inside?

namanjain
May7-14, 12:47 AM
P: 69
Rotation of PPL by opticaly active compounds (mathematical feeling)

Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
To blind to observe what?
Your formula is correct, however, I doubt that it is more practical. The point is that you would have to fill the sample of the given mass in a tube which has precisely the cross section you sprecified. Have you tried to fill a tube with precisely the amount of substance you want and to put glass windows on it without neither liquid spilling out or gas bubbles remaining inside?
DO IMPROVIZE MY LAST STATEMENT I WANT TO ASK:
the older equation has a feeling that if length of tube is increased one of factor will have to change and my equation marks that rotation(θ) and [α] are both independent of length of tube. I am just a bit confused for example help out with this

Q) if length of tube is doubled what will be the effect on Θ?
DrDu
May7-14, 01:32 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,562
Depends on what you hold constant. If M is constant, nothing, if c is constant, theta will double.

Register to reply