Register to reply

Dirac Lagr in Hermitian form

by ChrisVer
Tags: dirac, form, hermitian, lagr
Share this thread:
ChrisVer
May11-14, 05:52 PM
P: 754
Is there any way to write the Dirac lagrangian to have symmetric derivatives (acting on both sides)? Of course someone can do that by trying to make the Lagrangian completely hermitian by adding the hermitian conjugate, and he'll get the same equations of motion (a 1/2 must exist in that case)...However same equations of motion, imply that there should be a connection between the two Lagrangians via a 4divergence, right? Unfortunately I cannot see what that could be.
[itex]L_{D}= \bar{\psi} (i γ^{\mu}∂_{\mu}-m) \psi [/itex]
In particular choosing
[itex]L_{D}= \bar{\psi} (i γ^{\mu}∂_{\mu}-m) \psi + ∂_{\mu}K^{\mu}[/itex]
seems to bring some result if I choose [itex]K^{\mu}=i\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\mu}\psi[/itex]
but the initial lagrangian seems to get doubled...
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
ChrisVer
May11-14, 06:11 PM
P: 754
[itex]L_{D}=\frac{1}{2} \bar{\psi} i γ^{\mu}∂_{\mu} \psi + \frac{1}{2} \bar{\psi} i γ^{\mu}∂_{\mu} \psi -m \bar{\psi}\psi[/itex]

[itex]L_{D}=\frac{1}{2} \bar{\psi} i γ^{\mu}∂_{\mu} \psi + \frac{1}{2} i ∂_{\mu}(\bar{\psi}γ^{\mu}\psi) - \frac{1}{2}i (∂_{\mu}\bar{\psi})\gamma^{\mu}\psi -m \bar{\psi}\psi[/itex]

[itex]L_{D}=\frac{1}{2} \bar{\psi} (i γ^{\mu}[∂_{\mu}^{→}-∂_{\mu}^{←}] -2m) \psi + \frac{1}{2} i ∂_{\mu}(\bar{\psi}γ^{\mu}\psi)[/itex]

Should the - exist?
The_Duck
May11-14, 06:23 PM
P: 843
Yes, your last expression is right.

Register to reply