Unidentified Constellation: Deciphering Star Patterns and Their Meanings

• Thread starter Ritzycat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a picture of a constellation-like pattern of stars and whether or not it actually exists. The person is unsure and asks for help in identifying it, mentioning the possibility of it being part of a larger constellation or just an asterism. They also suggest checking the orientation and location of the stars in the picture to confirm its existence.
Ritzycat
I'm sorry if this is too random or general a question, but a friend of mine created this picture and asked me if this "constellation" exists. I've been stumped for hours and nothing in my atlas of constellations is helping me find it.

If there are any that appear to be this pattern of white dots, can someone please enlighten me? Let alone part of a larger constellation.

3LuOjmy.png

I assume the part of the top left is a double star, but I am not sure.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
a friend of mine created this picture
... that would appear to indicate the likely answer wouldn't it?
Do you have any reason to think that the constellation might exist? i.e. is this picture an actual photograph of the night sky someplace?

Does this one resemble anything at all? Or show any similarities?

Don't recognize it.
Why not ask your friend?

Star patterns are called asterisms. Not every asterism is a constellation.

In other words: while it is possible what you have shown reflects some part of the sky, it doesn't have to be a constellation. It can be a part of one, or the starts can belong to several constellations at once.

The only way of making sure is checking where these stars appear on the sky and how they are oriented. With the diversity of the PF users we can't be even sure if it is a northern or souther hemisphere, we can't be sure where is north on the picture, we can't be sure what is the scale (nor the accuracy).

What is this constellation?

This is a common question asked by people who are unfamiliar with constellations. A constellation is a group of stars that form a recognizable pattern in the night sky. They were named and identified by ancient civilizations as a way to navigate and tell stories.

How are constellations named?

Constellations are typically named after the shape or object they resemble. For example, the constellation Orion is named after a hunter from Greek mythology. Some constellations also have names based on their location in the sky, such as the Zodiac constellations which are named after the signs of the Zodiac.

How many constellations are there?

There are 88 officially recognized constellations in the night sky. These were established by the International Astronomical Union in 1922. However, there are countless other constellations that have been identified by different cultures throughout history.

Can I see constellations from anywhere in the world?

Yes, constellations can be seen from anywhere in the world as long as the sky is clear and dark. However, some constellations may not be visible in certain parts of the world depending on the season and location.

What is the significance of constellations?

Constellations have been important to cultures all over the world for centuries. They were used for navigation, storytelling, and understanding the movements of the stars and planets. Today, they continue to inspire and awe us as we gaze up at the night sky.