Apparent Magnitude of Sun at 8000 Parsecs from Galactic Center

In summary, the extinction to our galactic center is about Av=20mag. To calculate the apparent magnitude of our sun at the 8000parsec distance of the galactic center, the luminosity-distance formula can be used. However, to find the apparent magnitude without extinction, the formula would be m=20mag+5*(log(8000)-1). This takes into account the distance and extinction factor.
Toad
The extinction to our galactic center is about Av=20mag. What would be the apparent magnitude of our sun at the 8000parsec distance of the galactic center?

From what I know, I think I need to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_magnitude#Computation the luminosity-distance formula. So I'd have m=20mag+5*(log(8000)-1) . Is this correct, am I missing something, or am I going at this totally wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Toad said:
From what I know, I think I need to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_magnitude#Computation the luminosity-distance formula. So I'd have m=20mag+5*(log(8000)-1) . Is this correct, am I missing something, or am I going at this totally wrong?

Close, but not quite. What would the sun's apparent magnitude be at that distance if there were no extinction?

Your approach is correct. The apparent magnitude of an object can be calculated using the inverse square law, which states that the apparent brightness of an object decreases as the square of the distance from the observer increases. In this case, we know the extinction value (Av = 20mag) and the distance from the galactic center (8000 parsecs), so we can use the formula m = M + 5log(d/10), where m is the apparent magnitude, M is the absolute magnitude, and d is the distance in parsecs.

To calculate the apparent magnitude of our sun at 8000 parsecs from the galactic center, we can use the known absolute magnitude of the sun (4.83) and plug in the values: m = 4.83 + 5log(8000/10) = 4.83 + 5log(800) = 4.83 + 5*2.903 = 19.77mag.

Therefore, the apparent magnitude of our sun at 8000 parsecs from the galactic center would be approximately 19.77mag. This means that the sun would appear significantly dimmer than it does from our current position in the galaxy, due to the high extinction value of 20mag.

1. What is the significance of the apparent magnitude of the Sun at 8000 parsecs from the Galactic Center?

The apparent magnitude of the Sun at 8000 parsecs from the Galactic Center is a measure of how bright the Sun would appear to an observer at that distance. It can provide insight into the distribution of stars and other objects within the galaxy, as well as the overall structure and evolution of the Milky Way.

2. How is the apparent magnitude of the Sun at 8000 parsecs from the Galactic Center calculated?

The apparent magnitude is calculated by taking into account the distance between the Sun and the Galactic Center, as well as the amount of light that is attenuated or absorbed as it travels through the interstellar medium. The resulting value is then adjusted for the observer's position within the galaxy.

3. What is the relationship between apparent magnitude and distance?

As distance increases, the apparent magnitude of an object decreases. This is because the further away an object is, the less light reaches the observer, making it appear dimmer.

4. How does the apparent magnitude of the Sun at 8000 parsecs from the Galactic Center compare to other stars in the Milky Way?

The apparent magnitude of the Sun at 8000 parsecs from the Galactic Center is relatively low compared to other stars in the galaxy. This is because the Sun is located in one of the outer arms of the Milky Way, and is not as densely packed with stars as the central regions.

5. How does the apparent magnitude of the Sun at 8000 parsecs from the Galactic Center vary over time?

The apparent magnitude of the Sun at 8000 parsecs from the Galactic Center can vary over time due to various factors, such as changes in the interstellar medium or the motion of the Sun within the galaxy. However, these variations are relatively small and may not be noticeable to the naked eye.