A Picture Analysis Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a picture of US soldiers receiving the bodies of American casualties in the Global War on Terror. The question is raised about whether the cloud in the background is an explosion or a smokestack. After considering different opinions and examples, it is concluded that the smokestack is a more likely explanation. The picture serves as a somber reminder of the costs of war.
jhe1984
This is kind of random, but I am wondering if this picture of US soldiers standing ready to receive the bodies of 5 American casualties in the GWOT (I'm not sure OIF or OEF) shows an explosion in the background.

My question is "Is that cloud on the right side of the horizon an explosion (like from a big bomb)"?

I cannot say for sure so I was going to ask yalls opinion. If so, the picture is a very somber contrast of the distant and close-up costs of war. If not, it is still a very sobering picture.

My apologies if I have difficulties loading the picture.

Thanks!
--- Here's the picture-only link while the file pends approval. (Not graphic)

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB152/000166.jpg

Attachments

• 000166.jpg
    000166.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not expert at any of this, but it looks much more like a smokestack to me than an explosion. The smoke looks far too directed to be either an explosion or a cloud.

~Lyuokdea

I agree with Lyu, it looks much more like a smoke stack then an explosion.

It doesn't look like an explosion but it's hard to say what it is instead. There seems to be a tower that could be a smoke stack. The smoke itself, though, seems to be originating from the ground, as in an oil well fire.

Explosion mushroom clouds are thinner and wispier at the stalk.

http://www.sorabji.net/2001/february/20.jpg [Broken]
http://www.geartekcorporation.com/dailyphoto/2005images/smokestack1.jpg [Broken]
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/files/Climate/BC/SmokeStack.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Like what Dave's pictures show. It's either a smoke stack or steam release. You can see the bottom has a narrow band where the exhast is being accelerated out of the stack. Once it hits open air it starts to diffuse.

What is a picture analysis question?

A picture analysis question is a type of question that asks you to interpret and analyze a given image or picture. It may require you to identify elements such as colors, shapes, and textures, and explain their significance or symbolism.

How do I approach a picture analysis question?

To approach a picture analysis question, start by carefully examining the image and taking note of its details. Consider the context in which the image was created and the intended audience. Then, analyze the elements of the image and explain their possible meanings or implications.

What skills are needed for a picture analysis question?

Some important skills for answering a picture analysis question include visual literacy, critical thinking, and attention to detail. It is also helpful to have knowledge in art history, symbolism, and cultural context.

Can there be multiple interpretations of an image in a picture analysis question?

Yes, there can be multiple interpretations of an image in a picture analysis question. Images can be open to different interpretations depending on the viewer's perspective and knowledge. It is important to support your interpretation with evidence from the image itself.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in a picture analysis question?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a picture analysis question include making assumptions without evidence, over-analyzing insignificant details, and ignoring the context of the image. It is also important to use appropriate terminology and to clearly explain your interpretations.