2 Objects connected by rigid rod moving perpendicular to each other

In summary, The problem states that Two objects, A and B are connected by a rigid rod that has a length of 60m. The objects slide along perpendicular guide rails. If A slides to the left witha constant speed of 62m/s along the x-axis, find the velocity of B along the Y-axis when the rod makes an angle 30 degrees with the X-axis.
physacks
I am having a lot of trouble trying to figure out ot do this problem. The problem states that Two objects, A and B are connected by a rigid rod that has a length of 60m. The objects slide along perpendicular guide rails. If A slides to the left witha constant speed of 62m/s along the x-axis, find the velocity of B along the Y-axis when the rod makes an angle 30 degrees with the X-axis.

I have tried to work out this using trig functions but I do not think that is the proper way of doing the problem. Feel free to change the numbers around, I really just want to understand how to do the problem as I am stuck. I have been unable to figure it out by reading my book and cannot find a similar problem.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint 1: What's the relationship between the two coordinates? (Think Pythagorus.)

Hint 2: You'll need to take a derivative.

I have a similar problem to the one physacks submitted. I'm having trouble finding the relationship between the coordinates as you (Doc Al) said.
Plz help,
Thanks

Please provide a diagram that illustrates the problem. I assume that object A is constrained to move along the x-axis and object B is constrained to move along the y-axis. Since the distance between the two end points is fixed, how must the positions of the two objects relate? Hint: The origin and the objects A and B form a right triangle whose hypotenuse is the length of the rod.

Here's the diagram of the problem.
I assume the sides are related by the pythagorean theorem: x^2 + y^2 = 64^2
Do I take the derivative of this equation or is there another equation I need? I feel like I need something that also relates time. It seems like a rate of change problem...so I'd use an implicit derivative. But I'm just having trouble figuring out the equation to use.
Thanks

Attachments

• PhysicsDiagram.jpg
    PhysicsDiagram.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 675
jslive03, try thinking of your equation as
[x(t)]^2+[y(t)]^2=64^2
and then differentiate wrt t.

By the way, this is called a trammel mechanism.

Last edited:
jsliv03 said:
I assume the sides are related by the pythagorean theorem: x^2 + y^2 = 64^2
Do I take the derivative of this equation or is there another equation I need?
You're doing fine. That's the equation you need.
I feel like I need something that also relates time. It seems like a rate of change problem...so I'd use an implicit derivative.
Exactly.

Now just work out how the 38 degrees fits in.

What is the definition of "2 Objects connected by rigid rod moving perpendicular to each other"?

The term "2 Objects connected by rigid rod moving perpendicular to each other" refers to a physical system in which two objects are connected by a rigid rod and are moving in directions perpendicular to each other.

What are some examples of "2 Objects connected by rigid rod moving perpendicular to each other" in real life?

Some examples of "2 Objects connected by rigid rod moving perpendicular to each other" in real life include a seesaw, a lever, and a bicycle.

How does the motion of one object affect the motion of the other object in "2 Objects connected by rigid rod moving perpendicular to each other"?

In this physical system, the motion of one object affects the motion of the other object due to the rigid connection between them. The objects will move in opposite directions, with the motion of one object causing a corresponding motion in the other object.

What are the key principles of motion involved in "2 Objects connected by rigid rod moving perpendicular to each other"?

The key principles of motion involved in this physical system include Newton's laws of motion, specifically the laws of inertia and action-reaction. The objects will continue to move in the same direction and speed unless acted upon by an external force, and for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How does the length and weight of the rigid rod affect the motion of the objects in "2 Objects connected by rigid rod moving perpendicular to each other"?

The length and weight of the rigid rod do not significantly affect the motion of the objects in this physical system. As long as the rod remains rigid and does not bend or break, the motion will remain perpendicular and the objects will continue to move according to Newton's laws of motion.