How Do You Prove That a Divides a Linear Combination in Induction?

You are trying to prove that a divides the entire sum, not just the last term. In summary, the conversation is discussing a proof by induction for the proposition that if a divides several integers b1, b2, ..., bn, then it also divides their sum b1x1 + b2x2 + ... + bnxn for all integers x1, x2, ..., xn. The person asking for help is unsure of how to proceed with the induction step, but others suggest using the strong induction method and considering the case for n = k + 1. It is also pointed out that the sum must be written in sequence form and that the fact that a divides all the bn terms
salubadsha
hey guys

I'm stuck with another induction proof.

Question: Suppose a, b1, b2,...,bn are integers with a|b1 (means a divides b), a|b2, ..., a|bn. Prove by induction on n that a|b1x1 + b2x2 + ... + bnxn for all integers x1, x2,..., xn.

This is what i've, please let me know if it's correct. The question basically have connection of Proposition division alogrithm.
Base case:
Show that result is true for n = 1;
Since it's already given that when n = 1 then a|b1
therefore we can write b1 = aq for some inetger q. So b1x1 = aq(x1) = a(qx1) where q and x1 are integers. Hence a|bx1. Therefore, result holds for n = 1

Induction hypothesis: Assume reuslt holds for n = k.

I'm not too sure what to do next? Please someone help me with this, thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use the form of induction where you make the assuption that what you are trying to prove is true for all integers 1,2,3...k.

after you let n=k
you need to prove the case also holds true for n = k+1

in order to do this, u'll probably need to write out the case in the sequence form, then subsitute part of the equation into n=k, then do some algebra work from that point to get to the answer for n = k+1

sorry I'm not really clear about the question you are asking, it might help if you use LaTex equations.

Last edited:
bluevires said:
after you let n=k

You don't "let n=k" you assume the statement is true for n=k, but this problem won;t work using that form of induction as I pointed out above.

bluevires said:
you need to prove the case also holds true for n = k+1

in order to do this, u'll probably need to write out the case in the sequence forum, then subsitute part of the equation into n=k, then do some algebra work from that point to get to the answer for n = k+1

Can you tell me how you would put the statement he is trying to prove true into sequence form? Also I'm not sure exactly what you mean by sequence form.

bluevires said:
sorry I'm not really clear about the question you are asking, it might help if you use LaTex equations.

I think his post was clear enough that it was fairly easy to determine what he was trying to prove.

d_leet said:
You need to use the form of induction where you make the assuption that what you are trying to prove is true for all integers 1,2,3...k.

I thought of that too, it's called strong induction but I'm not too sure if what i did make sense. This is what i have

Induction Hypothesis: Assume reuslt holds for n = 1, 2,... ,k for some intger k, k >= 1.

Innduction Conclusion: Conisder n = k + 1

[tex]a|b_{k+1}x_{k+1} = a | b_{k-1}x_{k-1} + b_{k}x_{k} [/tex] by Induction Hypothesis

Can i write [tex]a | b_{k-1}x_{k-1} + b_{k}x_{k}[/tex] as [tex]a | b_{k-1}x_{k-1} + a | b_{k}x_{k}[/tex] ? I doubt it? If yes then i know what to do next, otherwise I've no clue!

Last edited:
salubadsha said:
I thought of that too, it's called strong induction but I'm not too sure if what i did make sense. This is what i have

Induction Hypothesis: Assume reuslt holds for n = 1, 2,... ,k for some intger k, k >= 1.

Innduction Conclusion: Conisder n = k + 1

[tex]a|b_{k+1}x_{k+1} = a | b_{k-1}x_{k-1} + b_{k}x_{k} [/tex]

Can i write [tex]a | b_{k-1}x_{k-1} + b_{k}x_{k}[/tex] as [tex]a | b_{k-1}x_{k-1} + a | b_{k}x_{k}[/tex] ? I doubt it? If yes then i know what to do next, otherwise I've no clue!

No I don't think that you can do that but you do know that a divides bn for all integers n, if you use this fact and try the case for n=2 or n=3 I think you might be able to see better how to prove this.

EDIT: Also note that you are trying to prove a|b1x1 + b2x2 + ... + bnxn and that bk+1xk+1 is not equal to bkxk+bk-1xk-1

Last edited:

1. What is an induction proof?

An induction proof is a mathematical method used to prove a statement or theorem for all positive integers. It involves proving a base case, typically when n=1, and then assuming the statement is true for n=k and using this to show that it is also true for n=k+1. This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all positive integers.

2. How is an induction proof different from other types of proofs?

An induction proof is different from other types of proofs, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction, because it relies on the concept of a base case and using the assumption that the statement is true for a smaller value to prove it is also true for a larger value. This is known as the principle of mathematical induction.

3. What types of statements can be proven using induction?

Induction can be used to prove statements that are dependent on a positive integer, such as formulas, properties, and identities. It is commonly used in algebra, number theory, and combinatorics.

4. Are there any limitations to using induction as a proof method?

Induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all positive integers. It cannot be used to prove statements that are only true for a specific set of numbers or for negative integers.

5. Can an induction proof be used to prove a statement for all real numbers?

No, an induction proof can only be used for positive integers. To prove a statement for all real numbers, other proof methods such as direct proof or proof by contradiction would need to be used.