Label Root of Function on Graph - Matlab Help

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter .ryan.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation discusses the syntax needed to label the root of a function on a graph using Matlab. It is suggested to find the roots separately and plot them on the graph using the "find" and "plot" functions.
.ryan.
Hey guys. Can someone help me with the syntax needed to label the root of a function on a graph, using Matlab? I've used the help function, but I couldn't find anything that was effective. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
.ryan. said:
Hey guys. Can someone help me with the syntax needed to label the root of a function on a graph, using Matlab? I've used the help function, but I couldn't find anything that was effective. Thanks.

I'm not sure if there's a way to make Matlab find and label roots on a plot, but you can make it find them separately and plot that point on the plot.

For example, if you are plotting y vs. t and want to find the roots of y, you can do
roots = find(abs(y)<=eps)
(or roots = find(abs(y) == min(abs(y))) if you know there's only one root). This finds the indices in the y vector corresponding to (approximately) the roots of y.

Then you can do
plot(t,y,t(roots),y(roots),'*');label('y','roots')
to plot y vs. t, and then on top of that it plots stars on the points where you found roots. There may be better ways but that's the best thing I can think of off hand.

Sure, I'd be happy to help. To label the root of a function on a graph using Matlab, you can use the "text" function. The syntax for this function is "text(x,y,'label')", where x and y are the coordinates of the point you want to label and 'label' is the text you want to display. So, for example, if your root is located at (2,0), you can use the following code:

text(2,0,'root')

This will place the label "root" at the point (2,0) on your graph. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the purpose of labeling the root of a function on a graph?

The purpose of labeling the root of a function on a graph is to identify the x-value(s) where the function crosses the x-axis. This can help in understanding the behavior and characteristics of the function, as well as in solving equations involving the function.

How can I label the root of a function on a graph using Matlab?

You can label the root of a function on a graph in Matlab by using the "xlabel" and "ylabel" functions, specifying the x and y coordinates of the root. You can also use the "text" function to add a label at a specific point on the graph.

Can I label multiple roots of a function on a graph in Matlab?

Yes, you can label multiple roots of a function on a graph in Matlab by using the "text" function with different x and y coordinates for each root. You can also use a loop to automatically label multiple roots on a graph.

What is the syntax for labeling the root of a function on a graph in Matlab?

The syntax for labeling the root of a function on a graph in Matlab using the "xlabel" and "ylabel" functions is: xlabel('x-value of root') and ylabel('y-value of root'). The syntax for using the "text" function is: text(x-coordinate, y-coordinate, 'label').

Is it necessary to label the root of a function on a graph in Matlab?

No, it is not necessary to label the root of a function on a graph in Matlab. However, it can be helpful in understanding and visualizing the behavior of the function, especially when there are multiple roots or when solving equations involving the function.