Using Implicit Differentiation

In summary: Therefore, the equation of the tangent line is y = 3.5x+1.5.In summary, the conversation discusses using implicit differentiation to find the derivative of a function and solving for specific values. The process involves using the chain rule and product rule, as well as using trigonometric identities. The final result is the equation of the tangent line at a given point.
loadsy
Alright I have the question:

Find dy/dx by implicit differentiatin

ysin(x^2) = xsin(y^2)

Basically you jus take the derivative of both sides and solve for dy/dx, but I was unsure whether or not my differentation was right. If someone could just get me started in the right direction for this equation I'd be thankful because I'm sure I can finish the rest.

[ysin(x^2)]' = [xsin(y^2)]'
ycos(x^2)*2 = xcos(y^2)*2

Is what I tried but I know that is completely wrong because you have to use the chain rule for both sides. I feel so silly right now because the other examples make more sense, yet this one doesn't haha. Thanks a lot guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the chain rule. If you are taking the derivative of a function of x with respect to x, then it's just the deivative.

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} (f(x)) = f'(x) [/tex]

But, if it's a function of y, you have to do the following:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} (f(y)) = \frac{d}{dy} (f(y)) \cdot \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex]

In English, this means, "take the derivative with respect to y, and then multiply by dy/dx (which is what you're solving for).

Now, in addition to this rule, you will need to employ the product rule on each side. See if you can try this.

ysin(x^2) = xsin(y^2)
ycos(x^2)*2x+ sin(x^2)*dy/dx = xcos(y^2)*2y*dy/dx+ sin(y^2)*1

Now I'm having trouble simplifying both sides of the equation, and solving for dy/dx. What is the next step in sovling this problem, afterwards it's fairly simple.

Get the [tex] y' [/tex] on the same side and factor.

So what you are saying is move the dy/dx to the other side, and then move the other equation to the other side and factor it, so:
ycos(x^2)*2x+ sin(x^2)*dy/dx = xcos(y^2)*2y*dy/dx+ sin(y^2)*1=
ycos(x^2)*2x -sin(y^2) = xcos(y^2)*2y - sin(x^2) dy/dx

And then factor this expression?

[tex] 2xy\cos(x^{2}) + \sin(x^{2})y' - 2xy\cos(y^{2})y' = \sin(y^{2}) [/tex]

[tex] 2xy\cos(x^{2}) + y'(sin(x^{2})-2xy\cos(y^{2})) = \sin(y^{2}) [/tex]

Ahhhh alright, that makes a whole lot more sense.
Hence: y' = sin(y^2) - 2xycos(x^2) / sin(x^2)-2xycos(y^2)

I suppose writing it using the y' helps a bit more too in simpifying the expression. Alright thanks a lot.

Alright I've got one more question for you if you don't mind, I'm currently working on the question:

If g(x) = secx, find g'''(pi/4)
g'(x) = secxtanx
g''(x) = secx*sec^2x+tanx*secxtanx
= secxtan^2x+sec^3x

Using trig identity: 1+tan^2x = sec^2x
tan^2x=sec^2x-1

Sub in
g'' = sec^3x+secx(sec^2x-1)
=sec^2x+sec^3x-secx
=2sec^3x-secx

I've made it this far, now I need to solve for g'''(x). Do you bring the 3 out in front and solve for:
6*secx-secx using the product rule? Or what do you do from here? Thanks guys. You've been a great help.

[tex] g''(x) = 2\sec^{3} x - \sec x [/tex]

[tex] g'''(x) = 3(2)(\sec x)^{2})(\sec x \tan x) - \sec x \tan x [/tex]

[tex] g'''(x) = 6\sec^{3}x \tan x - \sec x \tan x [/tex]

Ahhh beautiful, thanks a lot, and then when solving for g'''(pi/4), you just sub in (pi/4) for x and get:
6sec^3(pi/4)tan(pi/4)-sec(pi/4)tan(pi/4)
=6(root2)^3*1-(root2)*1
=6(2root2)-(root2)
=12root2-root2
= 11root2 as the final answer I believe.

yes that is correct

Alright thanks a bunch! :D

Alright I just finished another problem and was hoping to see if I just got it right.

The question asked use implicit differentiation to find an equation of the tangent line to the curve at a given point:
x^2+2xy-y^2+x = 2 (1,2)
d/dx(x^2+2xy-y^2+x) = d/dx (2)
2x+2(xy'+(1)y) -2yy' + 1 = 0
2xy'-2yy' = -2x-2y-1
y' [2x-2y] = -2x-2y-1
y' = -2x-2y-1 / 2x-2y
= -2(1)-2(2)-1 / 2(1)-2(2) = 7/2
y-2=7/2(x-1)
y = 7/2x+3/2

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical method used to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of its independent variable. Instead, the function is given as an equation with both the independent and dependent variables present.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when it is difficult or impossible to solve for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus to find derivatives of implicit functions.

3. How does implicit differentiation work?

To use implicit differentiation, you must differentiate both sides of the given equation with respect to the independent variable. Then, use the chain rule and product rule to simplify the expression until you have solved for the derivative of the dependent variable.

4. What are the benefits of using implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to explicitly solve for the dependent variable. This can save time and effort, especially when dealing with complex equations.

5. Are there any limitations to implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation can only be used when the given equation is differentiable. It also may not always give the most simplified answer, so it is important to check the final result for correctness. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for finding derivatives in some cases.