Normal force during a push up problem

I misunderstood the previous questionIn summary, two positions are shown in the diagram, representing the person's hands and feet while doing push-ups. The person's weight is 633 N and the lengths of their arms and legs are L1 = 0.885 m and L2 = 0.358 m respectively. Using some substitution, the normal force exerted by the floor on each hand can be calculated by setting .358(633-x)=.885x and solving for x.
Max238
A person whose weight is W = 633 N doing push-ups.

l=====x====l==0
______ _____
0.885 0.358

Assume L1 = 0.885 m and L2 = 0.358 m. Calculate the normal force exerted by the floor on each hand, assuming that the person holds this position.

My work so far:
thinking L1 + L2 = 633
and .358Rhands=.885Rfeet; Rhands and Rfeet x and y respectivelyl

with a little substitution .358(633-x)=.885x
What I am having trouble is the simple math of solving this. I'm either doing something illogical or can't do simple math.
If this is wrong please tell me, if not what do I do? Maybe I've just been working on this problem a little too long...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the diagram. Are the two positions those of his right and left hands or those of his hands and his feet?

they are the hands and feet
you are seeing a sideview of the person with the x being his center of gravity
sorry

What is normal force during a push up?

Normal force during a push up is the upward force exerted by the ground on the body while performing a push up. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the weight of the body.

Why is normal force important in a push up?

Normal force is important in a push up because it helps stabilize the body and allows for proper execution of the exercise. It also helps distribute the weight of the body evenly across the arms and chest muscles.

How does the normal force change during a push up?

The normal force changes during a push up as the body moves up and down. When the body is in the starting position, the normal force is equal to the weight of the body. As the body moves down, the normal force decreases and reaches zero at the bottom of the push up. As the body moves back up, the normal force increases again.

What factors affect the normal force during a push up?

The factors that affect the normal force during a push up include the weight of the body, the angle at which the push up is performed, and the surface on which the push up is performed. A slippery surface or an uneven surface can affect the normal force.

How can I increase the normal force during a push up?

You can increase the normal force during a push up by increasing the weight of your body, changing the angle at which the push up is performed, or using resistance bands or weights. It is important to gradually increase the normal force to avoid injury.